New Russian adopted

Igor the Russian

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi All,
I’m taking a Russian in that my can’t take on their move. I’m in Massachusetts. They actually found him running loose 6 years ago so don’t know how old. I have read so much conflicting advice online so just wondering some basic stuff. They have him in a 48”x13” glass tank with garden soil and a dish to soak on one end. There is a fake stone archway in the middle to hide in. They said they feed lettuce, and dandelion and Violet greens when it’s in season to pick outside.
I have a turtle and chickens so I’m familiar with non- mammals, but I feel like I could be making his situation better.
Also are they shy of new people? When I adopted our Map turtle a similar way he took a few months to really adjust.
Thanks for any insight!
Ana

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Good luck and thanks for taking him in... I love in NH with three rescue Russians (and two other tortoises... this is a great place to learn about caring for your new tortoise.

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, a whole lot more can and should be done. It’s enclosure should be the size of a plywood sheet. Four ft by eight ft. It’s food intake/nutrition can be drastically improved. Yes, they can be shy when switching owners - new routine, etc. theres a very good care sheet on Russians in the species section. Lots to read & improve.

Good luck

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yes, a whole lot more can and should be done. It’s enclosure should be the size of a plywood sheet. Four ft by eight ft. It’s food intake/nutrition can be drastically improved. Yes, they can be shy when switching owners - new routine, etc. theres a very good care sheet on Russians in the species section. Lots to read & improve.

Good luck

Here’s Toms Russian care guide - you won’t go wrong trying to emulate everything he says is good.

➡️➡️ https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Igor the Russian

Massachusetts

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Can you give me any more information about what a “humid hide box “ is? Also do you worry about tap water? Do the put the same stuff in the water that I use for my turtle water?

Just regular household water from your faucet. If it’s good for you to drink, it’s perfectly fine for your tortoise.

Take a look in here under Enclosure. Tom has some nice enclosures and inside you can see black tupperware type contsiners, flipped upside down, a little entrance cut do your tort can crawl in & be safe.

The above is for aSulcata, but you will easily see what the hides look like.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Can you give me any more information about what a “humid hide box “ is? Also do you worry about tap water? Do the put the same stuff in the water that I use for my turtle water?
For an indoor enclosure I use a small tote with a lid. Cut an opening big enough for the tort to crawl through and fill with about 3” of fir bark or cypress mulch for them to burrow in. Add warm water to mulch to create humidity. If the water is good for you it is good for them. The only issue is the minerals drying on the shell and leaving a residue that is easily washed away