new RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I went to Petsmart today and they had a RF. This is quite funny (when it comes to the ignorance of large chain petstores) but also quite sad. They had her listed as "Captive Bred Redfoot Tortoise". I looked her over and she looks pretty healthy (from my limited experience). I asked a bunch of questions like where they got her, did they have a hatchling date, etc etc etc, and of course both people I talked to said they didn't know anything about it, but that they JUST got her on the 22nd, and they've NEVER carried a RF before, and all the employees loved her. Of course they had her set up in a very dry aquarium, with crickets no less.

Well I decided to get her because she's gorgeous. I went to the register to buy some other things first, including Reptile Mag. and the clerk started talking about tortoises and said that two days ago, someone came in and just left a $200 tortoise in one of their aquariums. They didn't know who or why.

AH HA!!! So this is why they had NO information on her! So when I went back to pick her up (I had them holding her while I did some other shopping), a different employee was there and he was upset to see her go as he loved her, and I asked him point blank if this was the tortoise that was mysteriously left in the tank and he said he thought so but he wasn't there when that happened.

REAL NICE!

Well I got her anyway, but of course there are some red flags as to why she might've been left. There is a 14 day gaurantee so there is time to see what is going on healthwise. She is a great weight, is robust - measured at 5.5 inches but looks at least six, has clear bright eyes and lots of energy, ate right away... her poop looked really mucousy tho.... I'm working on getting some pics up to show you... hopefully someone can verify the gender - my guess is female but of course I have no experience! I'm hoping someone can look at a pic of the poo and just tell me what they think (for now) since it won't be possible to get her to the vet for a couple of days at least!

Be back with pics! She really is a GORGEOUS thing, and spry and sweet! Oh, I have her in a small rubbermaid tote right now - WAY too small but am hoping to run to Walmart later today or tonight and get a tree tote for her. This small one is nice to keep heated for now, good for a day or two tops just to keep her nice and warm!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
102_4456.jpg

102_4463.jpg

102_4458.jpg

102_4459.jpg

and here's the link to a poo pic, it is not runny but as you can see covered in "mucous"... is that some type of worm or really mucous? http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/cvaldarieux/?action=view&current=102_4453.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
102_4456.jpg

102_4463.jpg

102_4458.jpg

102_4459.jpg

and here's the link to a poo pic, it is not runny but as you can see covered in "mucous"... is that some type of worm or really mucous? http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/cvaldarieux/?action=view&current=102_4453.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!!

Kelly wrap that feces in plastic wrap and put in sandwich bag and freeze it.. so the Vet can do a fecal test on it. It's not as good as a blood test but it should tell you what you need to know.

If there is suspect of "bugs".. your Vet. should prescribe fenbendazole.. aka Safeguard Equine Dewormer [ 25 gram Paste 10% ( 100 mg/g ). ] In otherwords "Horse wormer". Most 'feed' stores carry it.. comes in a 5" x 1" tube.. like a big plastic hypo.

I'M NOT A VET. JUST SHARING WHAT I'VE USED IN THE PAST.

I've used this in the past with no ill effects. It tastes like apple so there is no problem with them eating a piece of collards [ for example ] folded in half and squirting a drop about the size of a small pea between - like a paste-sandwich.

Even tho the plastron pic is dark, etc. and she's still small - you may have a female there. Looks to be NE South American --- Guyana / Suriname heritage.

Keep us posted..

Terry

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a beauty!!!

As for the new Rubbermaid, unless you went to WalMart before 6 pm, your not going to be getting her a new home until Wed after 6 am...WalMart closes for Christmas...lol.

She is a great Christmas present to yourself however...lol.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I'll get a better shot of her plastron in a couple of days!

I was able to get out to Walmart about 10 minutes before closing... YAY! So she's in the bigger tote now!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
You lucky duck! She looks great! Congrats!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Kelly, She is just beautiful! Merry Christmas to you!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Here's a pic of Makidash (right) and Sasoy near each other (for only five seconds, just for the pic)...

102_4464.jpg

You can REALLY tell from this picture what Terry was talking about with Makidash's shell - the evidence of being overfed! Actually she does look to have slight pyramiding in person, too... Terry, as she grows will the scutes go back together a bit, or will she always have the space between them?!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
Here's a pic of Makidash (right) and Sasoy near each other (for only five seconds, just for the pic)...

102_4464.jpg

You can REALLY tell from this picture what Terry was talking about with Makidash's shell - the evidence of being overfed! Actually she does look to have slight pyramiding in person, too... Terry, as she grows will the scutes go back together a bit, or will she always have the space between them?!

Kelly the 'spaces' will always be present. The carapace could have more pronounced abnormalities if the humidity goes down ( continue to 'mist' their carapaces virtually every day ) or the diet and amount per feeding changes. Now that you have the formula they will continue to thrive and grow into beautiful redfoot tortoises that they are!

Are we learning anything? Hope so...

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Definately learning TONS! Thanks SOOOOOO much for your time and patience and expertise!!!!!!!!!!

Sasoy, the new one, came out this morning! I fed her and misted her, and she wandered around for about an hour. This is more than Makidash has done on her own, so I was very pleased!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Very nice redfoot! I wish my Petsmart sold redfoots that looked as good as yours.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congratulations Kelly,
What a nice Christmas Present. She is sooo cute. Love her yellow nose and red beard.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
she looks great. why would anyone drop her off at a petco?

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
What a precious little face...how could you just drop such a sweetie off at a petco is right!?!? At least she is in a loving home now and I bet she is so happy you found her!! Congrats on the beautiful new addition!!

Status
Not open for further replies.