New rescue, ID please

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
I got a call from another rescue organization, they are full, need me to foster and treat shell rot/algae.

I'm picking it up later today. I'm not that well versed with turtle species, can you all please help I'd?
Pet store purchase in Oregon.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386346282.633360.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386346290.652998.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1386346298.278983.jpg

More information and pix later today. Once healthy, will go up for adoption.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not all that familiar with water turtles either, but I think this is chrisemys picta.

junozhou

I'm petting water turtles and known many of them. But I can't tell this one. But It's sick

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
junozhou said:
I'm petting water turtles and known many of them. But I can't tell this one. But It's sick

Hi junozhou:

I notice that you've made several posts. Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "Introductions" section and let us get to know you a bit better?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Yah, that's why the vet tech gets the sickies. But I don't mind, and I rarely have any medical expense, so we rescue people out here share the workload.

Just got an update, owner surrendering next week. At least this is not more RES. Those are to tough to rehome. Doubt I will get lucky again like the last pair.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I've had him a few days, he has a nasty case of shell rot I'm treating aggressively, and has septicemia, which I'm treating with Baytril. He's already improving, is now very active, outgoing, and STRONG!

He's very large, the size of a dinner plate. Here are two pix from just now...
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387040707.804456.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387040721.770638.jpg

He's in a large plastic tub, with 1" water that I change 2-3 times a day. I'm scrubbing him with alternating Betadine/Chlorex every 12 hours.

I'm all ears for any tips. I'm considering Miconazole cream, however after consulting with several reptile DVMs, they said both the Chlorex/Betadine scrubs are more than sufficent.

This is one of the nastier cases I've seen in awhile. He's already greatly improved in the four days I've had him. Scutes are pealing easily, shell underneath looks pretty decent.

Still thinking Cooter? Facial markings just don't scream Slider to me.

He/she. Hahah. I'm thinking female as well, but I keep saying "he". [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I'm 1000% sure its a female river cooter. I haven't dealt with extreme shell rot in the past so I'm no help on that. It sounds like your doing a great job.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Poor baby. When he pulls through will his shell stay marbled like that?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
diamondbp said:
I'm 1000% sure its a female river cooter. I haven't dealt with extreme shell rot in the past so I'm no help on that. It sounds like your doing a great job.

I LOVE YOU!

Ok, teach me the nuances of sexing Cooters. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I'm a tortoise nerd, turtles I'm good with (used to keep several species), but still learning.

This is one fantastic turtle. SHE is very outgoing, seems fearless.

Sh3wulf said:
Poor baby. When he pulls through will his shell stay marbled like that?

Not to that extent. The gray/white will be gone, the darker shell underneath with be scarred and bumpy for a long time. Adult Cooters and Sliders loose their color detail as they get older.

I need a name for "her". Any suggestions? She's a survivor, that's for sure.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Adult Females are larger (usually 10-16inches) with males being smaller (7-11inches). Females also have much shorter front clows and tail compared to males. They usually display a higher dome and overall rounder shape, but this is not always the case.

Yours may be a smaller than usual female because of the shell condition.

Love you too :p

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
If google translate can be trusted admirabili means wonderous miracle in Latin.