New Rescue--Box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Get a shallow dish and chop up a bunch of fruit and greens - real fine. Add some calc powder and vitamins. chop the worms in to 3rds and mix with salad. She will get some of the greens and stuff as she chomps at the worms.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I'm sure you will find someone that will fall in love with her and be willing to work with those little issues. I don't think any of them are too major, are they? If you could at least help with the shell rot and feeding her well (not sure if that's an issue or not from what you said) and introducing some greens, that could help. How much non protein should she be eating? Could anything actually be done about the nails and scute damage, or is that just part of her now? I love the name Egg! Is there a story to it?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I always name all my animals after characters. Eglantine was Peregrin Took's mother (he was a hobbit from Lord of the Rings).

Box turtles are SUPPOSED to be omnivorous. I read that they will eat "any thing they can get in their mouths" The main diet should be fruit and greens, with protein like 3-4 times a week?

But Egg, here, has another idea. I'm trying two different types of melon mixed with mazuri today, to see if that works. I really do love her already though. If I had the time, and the extra cash for her, I would be overjoyed to keep her.

But my animals are slowly mounting up. I am babysitting my buddy's animal for a few months, and he's being dropped off on Friday. Plus, the new baby tort and double science classes this semester, and I am getting a little swamped.

Here is the "turtle" room of the guy that wants to adopt her. I know he's legit, and he obviously knows what he's doing, but I am insisting on talking to him before she goes anywhere. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13969&id=1247661956&l=75b6bcb633

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Meg, I have to hand it to you, you are the best name picker on this forum, and you have some pretty steep competition. I always crack up laughing when I read your list. Eglantine, what a great name for a turtle-ette! She's a lucky critter to have such a conscientious mom to look after her.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Meg90 said:
I always name all my animals after characters. Eglantine was Peregrin Took's mother (he was a hobbit from Lord of the Rings).

Box turtles are SUPPOSED to be omnivorous. I read that they will eat "any thing they can get in their mouths" The main diet should be fruit and greens, with protein like 3-4 times a week?

But Egg, here, has another idea. I'm trying two different types of melon mixed with mazuri today, to see if that works. I really do love her already though. If I had the time, and the extra cash for her, I would be overjoyed to keep her.

But my animals are slowly mounting up. I am babysitting my buddy's animal for a few months, and he's being dropped off on Friday. Plus, the new baby tort and double science classes this semester, and I am getting a little swamped.

Here is the "turtle" room of the guy that wants to adopt her. I know he's legit, and he obviously knows what he's doing, but I am insisting on talking to him before she goes anywhere. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13969&id=1247661956&l=75b6bcb633

Be careful about who you adopt to Meg...When I was doing water turtles many years ago, some lady told me she had a "turtle room", and she had done all the research and sounded like she knew everything there was to know. She picked up two RES from me, and she seemed so nice...and she really was. About 6 months later I was in that neck of the woods delivering some baby painted to someone, and I dropped in for a visit with her. Well, she did have a turtle room, and she also had so many different species, that she didn't have enough room for bigger tanks. So everyone was in 20 gal. tanks on shelves all over her room. She promised to get a bigger tank...and a friend of mine told me she did.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I know...its a 1hr and 45 minute drive one way to where he is.

I was thinking of meeting halfway, now I want to go the whole distance and make a day of it, just to be sure he is who he says he is. I love this little turtle, and I only want the best for her, if I can't keep her.

Thanks for the kudos on the names. My last little tort is still giving me trouble in that department. I will have something for her soon though.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
In his pictures he has a bunch of what look like Three Toed boxies in a "cage". Is that where she is going? I wouldn't be too happy with that one. Sorry to be such a downer Meg...just trying to help...maybe I should MYOB....but does he have any outdoor enclosures besides his turtle room?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
please see my other thread: Eglantine Fundraiser. Its has all the news you need about this guy there. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.