New Reptile Owner of Hermes the Hermann's Hatchling

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello, my name is Kirk and i just received my first reptile in the mail yesterday, and Hermes is a male Eastern Hermann's Tortoise. I have a small tortoise table made out of a rubbermaid container with low sides.

I have read a lot about lethargic tortoises, but Hermes has been crawling all over the place. When I put him in his little 'hide' he just turns around and comes right back out to greet us. I don't know what a stressed tortoise looks like, but he hardly goes in his shell, he wants to smell and crawl over everything. We put him in the grass last evening to get some sun and see what he did, and his eyes lit up when he saw the clover and began munching away. He also, like a human toddler, did not want to be put in his table to go to bed, he kept crawling over and trying to escape wherever was closest to us.

Now, I've read a lot about tortoises and most people seem to wonder if theirs is ok if it doesn't eat for a while, or burrows down and sleeps all the time, but Hermes never tried to hide or anything and he seems to love people.
My questions is:
How hard is it to tell if a tortoise is stressed? Hermes is eating and is very outgoing, just hoping we got lucky.

Ohio
As a secondary question, i just learned that the UVB basking light i got for Hermes is the wrong kind so i got an MVB.
Can leaving the curly UVB bulb on for one day cause any permanent damage?
I read that it damages their eyes, but i don't know for how long they need to be exposed to it.

Ohio
Here is a picture of Hermes eating last evening.
He is so tiny, the size of a walnut.

Attachments

• IMG_2871.JPG
    IMG_2871.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

Sometimes when you have an extremely active tortoise it's because he's afraid and is frantic to find his way out, or to find a good hiding place. But if he's eating, that doesn't seem to be the case. Just bear in mind that small tortoises are prey.