New Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatPyr

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We just got this Redfoot today. He seems healthy and was eating good when we picked him up, but I noticed after we had him home for a while that his eyes seems watery. You can see this in the first picture. Other than that he seems ok. I'm not sure how much you can tell from the pictures, but I put them up to see if anyone can tell me if he looks healthly, or not. Thanks.

03020019.jpg

03020025.jpg

03020024.jpg

03020022.jpg

03020021.jpg

03020006.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
Your new Redfoot looks great. :D His/her eyes are watering because he/she isn't humid enough. Your Redfoot should be on a mixture of organic topsoil and peat. Redfoots need to be very humid.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Danny said exactly what I was going to say! Just up the humidity - needs to be at 70 - 80% at all times, and that will help the eyes!

Gorgeous red-foot! Congrats on the new addition!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh and also, this I have learned from "The Master"... your sweetie has a bit of extra space between the scutes, which comes from being overfed! I'm sure that one has a very hefty appetite! So just make sure that you feed him an appropriate amount so his shell develops more normally! (I have one sweetie that looks just the same way!)

GreatPyr

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
He is on Zoo Med Repti Bark which is 100% Fir bark. Could I mist this substrate to add some humidity for now, until I'm able to move to a new substrate?

cvalda, funny you should mention that. I was told that he is a big eater.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Beautiful new tort! Congrats!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes you can mist the substrate until you switch over. :D

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
You can also include a damp humid hide area with long strand sphagnum moss for him/her. Congrats on your new addition!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'd loss the fir substrat now. Softwood (from conifers) is toxic to herps. I'd keep him on paper towls or nespaper until you find a sutable substrat such as suggested. I don't know why pet suppliers keep selling this and cedar for herps.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Congrats on your new little cutie.
Itort..they continue to sell things even if they are bad for the animals because they make $$$$$$ on them, or worse if the animal dies the customer will be back and then they will make even more $$$$$$$. That is why I think they still sell the bad stuff.

Feylin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My redfoot does that if I don't remember to mist her mulch. I have cyprus mulch for mine and I mist it twice a day to keep the humidity up. Try soaking him in a few inches of warm water to see if that helps his eyes for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.