New Redfoot Tortoise Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

agray1222

5 Year Member
Hello all!! My name is Andrea and my family recently purchase 2 redfoot tortoise. They are very young only a month to two months old. They still have their egg tooth. We are kind of lost right now and a bit overwhelmed with all of the websites. I thought I would try here to get some advise because reading all the material on the websites are fine but I tend to do better by talking to people. I have a few questions regarding bedding, temp. of their home, etc. Those are my two main concerns at the moment.

Let me start by saying we purchased a Acrylic Slider off of craigslist that was made by glasscages.com. Feel free to go take a look so you will know exactly what I am talking about. It's 150 Gallon tank so there is plenty of room for the little guys or girls. Right now I have cypress mulch as bedding, but I hate it and it seems the tortoises do too. They are constantly wiping their eyes because little pieces of the mulch get stuck to their heads, shells and legs..Ugh..I know that would bother the mess out of me so I am looking for a change. I heard Sphagnum Moss is excellent so I think I may give this a try. Any feedback?

Also I bought a 160 Watt bulb that has the UVB and the UVA all in one. I bought a stand that hangs directly above one side of their home. I am a little concerned because the temp gauge I have down close to the bottom of the tank only reads about 80 degrees. I have called the local reptile store many times and they say that the 80 degrees is the tank temperature and doesn't necessarily reflect the temperature directly under the basking light. Not sure if I am happy with that answer. What do you guys think?

The questions I have go on and on but these are my main worries right now. They both are eating very well I have tropical tortoise pellets, they love clovers, lettuce and grapes. I have only had them about a week so we are still learning but they seem to be doing very well.

Please let me know what you guys think so far and once I have my first to questions resolved I will post more.

Thanks for your time.....Any advice is greatly appreciated.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I reccomend visiting turtletary.com.Check out the caresheets,they're very detailed. He is a successful breeder.I have two breeders from him and they are dynamite.Redfoots don't care for the lights very much.D3 and their protein needs can be met with dry weight control catfood,soaked until soft.Cypress mulch is my choice of substrate.I've had good luck using it.Temprature should be in the mid to high 80's,86 or 87 is my choice.Humidity is very important.Sphagnam moss is good for keeping humidity up in the hide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Andrea:

Welcome to the forum!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hi Andrea. Welcome to the forum. I've been following http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm for almost three years now and my Redfoot is doing just fine. If you go to the top of the page, and just click on the appropiate age group for the care sheet you want.
Opps...just realized Danny posted it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.