New Redfoot Sound

Gbear

5 Year Member
I've had my redfoots for over a year now and I'm used to the clicking/chicken noises that they make. As I was falling asleep tonight, I heard one of them make a new sound that was more like when a puppy is sleeping and chasing something in it's dream. Basically sounds like a small bark with it's mouth closed. Has anyone else ever heard their redfoots make a sound like this? I could only find examples of the clicking/chicken noises online.

Gbear

5 Year Member
I have 2, they're age is about a year and a half.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Have they made that clucking sound?
That's an adult Male noise.
Not associated with Redfoot that small. If a 1.5 year old is clicking and clucking, I'd suspect a respiratory issue.

If they are not "clucking", I would then assume that the noise came from some sort of temporary discomfort and air being expelled by the animal.
Like from an enclosure mate stepping on its face.
If neither of them are acting odd and there are no more noises, I wouldn't think too much of it.

Gbear

5 Year Member
They are Cherryheads if that matters. They have made the chirping sounds since I got them and have never had respiratory problems. I fed them a little bit of cantaloupe with their greens yesterday, so I'm thinking it might have been gas from that since the new sound has stopped and that is the only factor that has changed in their every day schedule. If it persists or if I notice any odd behavior, I'll take them to the vet.