New redfoot set up help and advice needed.

Bigmik101

Location (City and/or State)
Dunfermline
Hi hoping you can help i have just got a redfoot and reptile shop appears to have given me bad advice so have lost faith. Have had to set up in a viv as i have dogs in the house. Inhave a 5.0 UVB tube and a 100w infrared heat bulb on a thermostat. Is this a good set up?
Is there anything i need to do different?

Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi hoping you can help i have just got a redfoot and reptile shop appears to have given me bad advice so have lost faith. Have had to set up in a viv as i have dogs in the house. Inhave a 5.0 UVB tube and a 100w infrared heat bulb on a thermostat. Is this a good set up? Why? Redfoot don't like bright light and don't require/can't handle high heat.
Is there anything i need to do different?

Thanks
Welcome
Forget about the pet shop and get your information here.
That UVB light is GREAT.
But that heat lamp is harsh. I'd use a CHE on that thermostsat.
You want temps from 80 to 86. To me, 82 is ideal.
You also need very high humidity.
This isn't the kind of reptile you can just spray every now and then.
He/she needs a humid enclosure.
Can you give us pictures of what you have and we can get you up to speed.
It actually sound like you're not that far off.

Bigmik101

Dunfermline
Thanks yeh i will get a photo later today. I was sold with a tortoise table set up. I was told i needed no uvb light and a spray twice a day would do it. Thanks for the advice

Bigmik101

Dunfermline
I will get a CHE bought and use the 60w basking lamp for heat until then.
What should the set up be at night i read the night time temp should be around 25 degreesC (77F) there is a 20watt heat mat in tge set up but unsure if i should have it on and it so if it needs to be on its own thermostat i only have 1 thermostat just now. Picture attached forgive the pink hide is just temporary while i wait for a log hide arriving.20210201_193019.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
take back the heat mat if you can, and yes get a thermostat for the CHE. your substrate does not look correct, and here on the forum we often suggest orchid bark, coco coir, or cypress mulch. you can find this stuff at a garden or hardware store. when you get the right substrate, you will want to dampen it by pouring water into it and mixing it up. Not sopping wet, just enough to produce humidity.

because of the humidity, you will need to keep your temps 80~f constantly. there are no night temperatures for this species really, just constant/ambient temp.

what do you have there in the food dish?

Bigmik101

Dunfermline
It is thevtortoise mix i was given by the pet shop was told to add in root veg so that is carrots

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
It is thevtortoise mix i was given by the pet shop was told to add in root veg so that is carrots

This 'tortoise' mix is one of the long list of unsuitable products branded for tortoises. It is a soil sand mix and has limestone in it. Sand and the little limestone chunks are both digestive impaction risks. The substrate doesnt hold moisture well either. Stear clear, for your species I would start with orchid bark, coco is good but its messy and your tort will constantly be covered in it. You can get most of the supplies you need from Swells Reptile Online store, they are a UK business and their prices are usually pretty good.

The pink hide is actually better than a log hide, though it needs to be smaller. The reason is the pink hide will trap humidity within it, creating an extra humid micro-climate where the tortoise sleeps.

I think someone else said, but lose the red heat lamp, not suitable at all for this species. They dont really need a basking spot, they just need the temps to stay up.

And he most difficult part for most owners. This tort will need a lot more room very soon. 4ft x 8ft is the minimum reccomended for small species like a redfoot. Having space to walk around is important for the metabolic processes.

Care sheets -

To help you start planning.

BIG VIVARIUMS Archives - Southdown Aquatics

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
A tortoise might choke on chunks of raw carrot. It is tough. I grater or slice carrot very thin. Same with raw pumpkin. Be sure to follow a good redfoot diet, they are very versatile when it comes to eating, they eat a huge variety of weeds, plants like opuntia cactus pads, veggies and fruit - and protein like boiled eggs - just boil it in the shell and break it in half, watch him go!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I will get a CHE bought and use the 60w basking lamp for heat until then.
What should the set up be at night i read the night time temp should be around 25 degreesC (77F) there is a 20watt heat mat in tge set up but unsure if i should have it on and it so if it needs to be on its own thermostat i only have 1 thermostat just now. Picture attached forgive the pink hide is just temporary while i wait for a log hide arriving.View attachment 317055
Not too keen on the red light, I think it is not good for the tortoise.

Bigmik101

Dunfermline
Screenshot_20210202-193650_Samsung Internet.jpg

So is this a good.substrate to use? Parts.look large and would be difficult for the tortoise to walk on

Bigmik101

Dunfermline
I have been told to feed her frozen mice is this correct because it is looking like everything else i was advised was wrong.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
That is a good substrate, dont buy from Pets@home, its expensive. There are better sources and if you get the fine grade it isnt very big. If you want something that more resembles soil, then coco coir is good but its messy.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You can feed frozen but thoroughly thawed mice that are available for feeding snakes. But it is not necessary because of all the other forms of protein that the tortoise will eat, even a good quality dry dog food now and then, mine love that.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I have been told to feed her frozen mice is this correct because it is looking like everything else i was advised was wrong.

I woudlnt feed mice, most accept that they should eat some animal protein, as they often do in the wild. Frozen mice, I cant remember what they are actually called, are just fatty and not a great protein source. boiled eggs, chicken, even high grade cat food is better, if you identify species you can feed slugs and worms, some will eat insects things like that are better. The vast majority of diet (90%) should be greens however.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot have the largest menu of any other species. So take advantage of that.
They can eat fruit. Lots of it. That alone would kill most other tortoises.
They also eat edible flowers, leaves including greens and some yard weeds like thistle and purslane, etc
Vegetable matter, mushrooms, protein including meat, eggs and some very high quality dog food.
And things like Mazuri tortoise chow.
Almost any unprocessed food that you eat, can be fed to your Redfoot. At least occasionally.
Finding or growing food should not be an issue. Use a variety. Don't feed just one item every day. (Though you can for a day or two if you're in a rush)
As for the pink hide you have. Keep it.
Those log hides tend to grow mold very quickly in a humid environment.
You'll probably be throwing it away soon.

Bigmik101

Dunfermline
Thanks.
What sort of humidity levels should i be looking for? Also curewntly my thermostat is under substrate should it be 8n open air? Thanks

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Thanks.
What sort of humidity levels should i be looking for? Also curewntly my thermostat is under substrate should it be 8n open air? Thanks

Thermostats should always be placed at the level of the tortoise and not buried or obstructed by anything, you can attach them to the wall or just hang them from the ceiling. Humidty your aiming for 70% plus I believe.