New Redfoot Enclosure, lots of pictures!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi all,
Just finished up with a new build. It's 4x8 ft and houses 4 cherryhead redfoots.

We framed and insulated heavily

Then we lined it with pond liner...it's not cheap but it's the best waterproofing I've found and it works great for putting standing water into and adding heat ropes to boost humidity.

Here's the ropes. I used Hydrokable, they're 100% waterproof and are intended to be submerged in fish tanks.

We insulated the bottom framing too

Finishing boards

The completed project. That's 1/4 inch sliding glass from my previous enclosure

Two hides on the warm, bright side:

Four hides on the cool, shaded side:

Rafiki & Coagi peeking out

The crew eating in the feeding/water area:

I'm heating with a space heater and using my Herpstat 4 (love this thing) for backup heating, lights, and humidity regulation in addition to the heat ropes

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay I try to remember to ask this... how much did it cost and how long did it take (if your willing to share).

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Great job. Thanks for posting these pics. Hope you don't mind but I'm going to take a couple ideas from yours for my next one.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Okay I try to remember to ask this... how much did it cost and how long did it take (if your willing to share).

All said and done, it was ~$1,000 to build. Of that, $400 was the pond liner alone. We worked on it during evenings and weekends for a month, so probably a solid week and a half of work.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Thats an awesome terrarium build. The use of a space heater is pretty ingenious for a heater. Are the plants real or fake?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Thats an awesome terrarium build. The use of a space heater is pretty ingenious for a heater. Are the plants real or fake?
Plants are fake. I'll be adding live plants suspended from the ceiling shortly.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
All said and done, it was ~$1,000 to build. Of that, $400 was the pond liner alone. We worked on it during evenings and weekends for a month, so probably a solid week and a half of work.

Thank you. I think it's good for new folks to realize just how much money and time goes into making good housing for our tortoises. :)

ksanchez

5 Year Member
Ca
It looks amazing. I am sure they love it.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
You may have to fight the husband in a grudge match! It is very unlikely he would let any of them go!
Well, I tried. Saw some of yours and Carl's pictures in Vinke & Vetter's book and thought it was pretty nifty.