My Redfoot Darwin

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
When I got up this morning, his enclosure was dark and he was still in the hide ... Two minutes after the lights went on he shuffled out, nodded at me working on my next book, and went to work on leftovers in his food dish.

He's totally keyed into the lighting schedule, and after a quick snack he went over to bask for a few minutes before wandering the perimeter.

#tortlife

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Darwin weighs 231g as of today.

IMG_8635.jpg

He's eating well, everyday, a varied diet that includes a mix of greens and fruits and veggies, with occasional protein, as well as 1-2 days each week of a mix of tortoise kibbles.

IMG_8639.jpg

His new enclosure is dialed in, in terms of heat and humidity, and the sensors help me feel secure about it when I'm away from home.

Jamie

Last edited:

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
264g today ... Darwin fasted on Sunday, and ate a mix of pellets softened with water this morning while he soaked.

J

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
276g this morning.

Darwin enjoyed a pile of fresh carrot tops, a bit of carrot shredded into the mix of papaya, squash, strawberry, silkworm pupae, and mazuri.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
As of today, Darwin's vitals are:
weight - 293g
straight-line carapace length - 12 cm

Using the formula established by Susan Donoghue, DVM, I figured his target ideal weight for the length at 330g, and conversely, his target ideal length at 11 .5cm.

His tBMI is 0.89, which would indicate that he's underweight for his length, but it's pretty close to the ideal, and he seems to be both active and growing, so I'm not even a little concerned.

I think these formulae are a useful means to keep track of your tort's health in a general sense, as is a weekly weigh-in and inspection ... I wouldn't make big changes to your caretaking regimen based on your tort's tBMI unless it was under 0.80 or over 1.20.

Mostly I like numbers, and have fun playing with them ... and Darwin.

Jamie

Nookole

North Carolina
As of today, Darwin's vitals are:
weight - 293g
straight-line carapace length - 12 cm

Using the formula established by Susan Donoghue, DVM, I figured his target ideal weight for the length at 330g, and conversely, his target ideal length at 11 .5cm.

His tBMI is 0.89, which would indicate that he's underweight for his length, but it's pretty close to the ideal, and he seems to be both active and growing, so I'm not even a little concerned.

I think these formulae are a useful means to keep track of your tort's health in a general sense, as is a weekly weigh-in and inspection ... I wouldn't make big changes to your caretaking regimen based on your tort's tBMI unless it was under 0.80 or over 1.20.

Mostly I like numbers, and have fun playing with them ... and Darwin.

Jamie

This was so informational!

Darwin is looking so great. <3

I had a question. What percentage UVB light are you using for him? I've been told so many different things!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
This was so informational!

Darwin is looking so great. <3

I had a question. What percentage UVB light are you using for him? I've been told so many different things!

I use a basking bulb that also provides UV ... I have it on a 12/12 schedule.

J

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
307g today ... I'm heading out early tomorrow with my son for his spring break, so I got the weekly weigh-in done early.

We're heading to northern Maine for a week of biking.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
318g after being away for most of the last 10 days ... Just one feeding in about the middle of that time.

J

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thanks!

His origin story is a bit murky, but I've guesstimated his birthdate as 7/24/18, which makes him 9 months, 1 week, and 5 days old.

I'm excited for him hitting a pound a bit before he turns one year old... if things stay on track.

Jamie

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Thanks!

His origin story is a bit murky, but I've guesstimated his birthdate as 7/24/18, which makes him 9 months, 1 week, and 5 days old.

I'm excited for him hitting a pound a bit before he turns one year old... if things stay on track.

Jamie
That is fantastic, he looks very happy and full of life!!!