My Redfoot Darwin

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I just got a redfoot, my first tortoise, this past Wednesday.

IMG_6180.JPG

He's about the size of a flattened tennis ball (and not necessarily a he, but I've got a feeling about him).

IMG_6203.jpg

He's been eating well, and seems to like his ridiculously large enclosure (a 50g I found used in my area).

I'm excited to get to know him, and to see him grow.

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
Do you have any questions about keeping your new friend?
Some photos of the enclosure and lights, heating, etc would help us with suggestions.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Sorry for the gross pics, I've got thermometers in a couple spots, trying to make sure of temperature and gradients around the tank.

IMG_6218.jpg

I've got an LED UV light and a ceramic heat emitter above the tank, and a length of old sleeping pad to help keep heat in.

There's an under tank heater, a basking rock, two hides, and a Pyrex dish pool, all surrounded by cypress mulch.

IMG_6216.jpg

I take him out for a half an hour bath each morning, when I fed him, street he's done eating and hydrating, I put him abs the food bowl back in the tank for the day.

Jamie

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Keep your humidity high to help ensure proper shell growth. Humidity at 80% is ideal. Jacksnight is right about the brightness. RFs prefer low light and a lot of plant coverage.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I would do away with the under tank heater. A CHE on a thermostat should be plenty enough for a 50g tank. Also when you say led UVB do you mean a coil bulb like this?
article-1075613-02F361FB00000578-154_468x471.jpg

SheLLife

Kentucky
Anyone else concerned about the slippery water dish in the middle there? I'm picturing your sweet baby unable to grip to get out. And when young they are great at flipping over in the water. I've seen members suggest a very shallow Terra cotta planter sunk into the substrate like you've done there. Maybe in one of the corners under the lights? Someone pls jump in if that's wrong. I know mine like their water warm or they won't use it. I'm so excited for your adorable new family member! Congratulations!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Keep your humidity high to help ensure proper shell growth. Humidity at 80% is ideal. Jacksnight is right about the brightness. RFs prefer low light and a lot of plant coverage.

IF that were true why does he choose to sit under the light when there are two dark shelters?
Not really. The water dish is a pie plate and if it's not clear full shouldn't be a problem and much easier to keep clean than terra cotta is especially with him dragging bedding into it all the time. My big Red foots have a dog dish to drink out of and any baths are done in the bath tub.
He's a very colorful and pretty little one. Hope all grows well.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I kind of see the point about the slippery water dish. How about a shallow plastic flower pot saucer with rocks on the bottom to assist in climbing in and out, and sunk well into the substrate?
What a gorgeous little guy!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I spent a nice half hour writing with Darwin this afternoon while he soaked and ate his lunch ...

IMG_6474.JPG

I was surprised by how much he loves kale ... I don't.

IMG_6475.JPG

He also went to town on blueberries and strawberries and banana ....

IMG_6476.JPG

But perhaps his favorite is avocado.

He seems comfortable and thriving in his home, as I get better at maintaining the temperature and humidity he needs.

Jamie

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I spent a nice half hour writing with Darwin this afternoon while he soaked and ate his lunch ...

View attachment 253694

View attachment 253695

View attachment 253696

He seems comfortable and thriving in his home, as I get better at maintaining the temperature and humidity he needs.

Jamie
He looks very colourful, a stunner.
Feed a good mixed diet. Don’t provide any concerntrated heat source that dries his carapace and soak daily for 20 mins minimum. Stick to that for first 2 yrs and you’ll be right.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
He looks very colourful, a stunner.
Feed a good mixed diet. Don’t provide any concerntrated heat source that dries his carapace and soak daily for 20 mins minimum. Stick to that for first 2 yrs and you’ll be right.

I've been using a CHE (on a temp controlling power regulator) to bring his enclosure up to 90 - 95 at the warm end ... will that be a problem?

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_6489.JPG

It's a weirdly hot and humid October day here in New Hampshire, so I decided to try out Darwin's outdoors enclosure, possibly for the only time before autumn really comes.

The second I put him down he started grazing his way around the inside of the enclosure.

Jamie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

View attachment 253694

View attachment 253695

View attachment 253696

Jamie
Lovely photos! Not sure you should feed avocado? Check it out.