New Redfoot Daddy: Meet Terra

SquidmanMal

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
So, I was recently gifted a tortoise after always wanting one, and did a mad scramble of research and steady purchases.

She's 5 months old im told, and already adored.
Personality-wise is shy but curious and needs to be encouraged to try foods that aren't green.

This forum has helped immensely and I'll be sure to stick around.

20200615_235314.jpg
Feeding time, she (i think) really loves hanging out in her dish to go for the leafy greens.
(pellets are already phased out, want her diet as natural as possible)

20200617_151250.jpg
Fruit addition day. (after her greens of course)She wasnt too sure at first, but after a taste, murdered half a berry.

20200618_143913_001.jpg
The zucchini-squash on veggie day proved and instant favorite, focusing heavily on the rind.

Day to day life is mostly sleeping, often burrowed away. I gave her a log hide, and she promptly went in, went out, and burrowed under her water dish, tipping it in the process.20200616_133738.jpg

Her home will soon be upgraded to a far larger box without glass walls to reduce stress, and I'm looking at coconut fiber bedding to replace the mulch.

20200617_151055.jpg

After feeding, she's active and curious for a bit, and often relieves in the bowl (which is prompy changed) before settling back to sleep, as little ones are apparently wont to do.

Tomorrow, I want to throw in some protein to make sure her little hind legs dont have any issues, I've read a bit of hardboiled egg every 2 weeks or so with shell is good for it and calcium. I've read to boil them 30 minutes to make super sure any pathogens are killed and to mash it for safe feeding.
(when will she be big enough for proper earthworms?)

I'm also looking into a cuttlebone, i've read those are good for calcium and beak health.

Edit: Big question, what's the best way to discourage substrate eating, caught her seemingly trying to a few times.

Last edited:
Arkansas
So is this a cherryhead? I know a lot of redfoots have red heads when young, but how can you tell the difference between a cherryhead and a normal redfoot when they are young?

SquidmanMal

Pennsylvania
So is this a cherryhead? I know a lot of redfoots have red heads when young, but how can you tell the difference between a cherryhead and a normal redfoot when they are young?
I'm not entirely sure myself. We were only told 'redfoot'

20200617_151220.jpg

20200618_143736_021.jpg
20200615_235819.jpg

here's my best head pictures atm.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm on my phone.
I can't tell if this animal has a split nose scute from the photo.
But aside that feature, Cherryheads also have small arm spurs and dark plastrons.
There are, however, so many mixes that the lines are starting to blur.
I think that this is just a spectacular Redfoot. Not a Cherryhead

(From what I can see)

SquidmanMal

Pennsylvania
I think she likes the bigger bath. Soaked for a good 10 minutes, before taking a few nibbles and heading back to the hide.

SquidmanMal

Pennsylvania
Update, doing well, enjoying berry day. She's still a shy baby, and seems to love her coco fiber bedding, and has a few 'nests' inside and out of her hide to chill/warm in.

Attachments

• 20201012_002501.jpg
    20201012_002501.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 11

Happytort27

CA
How are you planning on keeping the humidity up in her enclosure?

(By the way she is so adorable!)

AgataP

Seattle, WA
That enclosure is not the best for your tortoise. Where is her basking spot? What is the temperature and humidity I don’t know a lot about redfoot but The enclosure needs some upgrades. Like the square footage, humidity etc. I am sure there is a care sheet floating around.

She is beautiful for sure.

SquidmanMal

Pennsylvania
Hello and thanks for the concern, she is actually under her basking spot in the picture, a ceramic heater that makes a gradient of around 82 to 70 Fahrenheit from the bath area to the hide.

The hide is misted daily, along with her when it is feeding time.

Upgrades to square footage are definitely planned as she grows.

She seems to be able to find comfortable spots easily enough, on a chilly but not too chilly night she was nested up a few inches from her hide in the 75ish area.

Zoeclare

Uk
Redfoot don't need a basking spot, an ambient temp around the whole enclosure of about 84 is perfect.