New Redfoot Concerns

mischa

Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines
Hi, I just recently purchased a redfoot tortoise hatchling. I'm fairly new to the whole tortoise thing. I've owned many pets in the past, but with every new pet comes anxiety for any wrongdoing. Although having done extensive research, I still feel like I'm doing something wrong. My baby, Loki, is eating well, being active in her cage and around the backyard when I let her roam, and is sleeping normal. I'm just concerned that I'm feeding her too much/too little, if she's getting the nutrients she needs, her diet, cage, everything really. I can provide a description of her current housing, diet, habits, anything needed. I would really appreciate some help!

TobeyP

Somerset, UK
I read one way is to put plenty of food down for him to eat, wait 15 minutes and then take the rest away. I personally don't like that. They're grazers so they should be able to have access to something. My opinion.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hi, I just recently purchased a redfoot tortoise hatchling. I'm fairly new to the whole tortoise thing. I've owned many pets in the past, but with every new pet comes anxiety for any wrongdoing. Although having done extensive research, I still feel like I'm doing something wrong. My baby, Loki, is eating well, being active in her cage and around the backyard when I let her roam, and is sleeping normal. I'm just concerned that I'm feeding her too much/too little, if she's getting the nutrients she needs, her diet, cage, everything really. I can provide a description of her current housing, diet, habits, anything needed. I would really appreciate some help!

Since you started the thread and seem worried, could you please provide:

1) Pictures... of the tortoise, of the enclosure, of the lighting, of the food, of the heat, of the water.

2) Temperature and humidity readings... of various parts of the enclosure at various times of the day.

3) Weight of the tortoise over the time that you've had them.

4) Concerns/Questions... what are you worried about and why?

Failing that, if the tort seems to be doing well, keep reading and don't worry about it.

Jamie