New red foot tortoise baby!

Lolovespark

Location (City and/or State)
Sandwich, IL
Hello! We live in a town about 60 minutes outside of Chicago. We had initially prepared for a desert species, so we have had to mix it up a bit..... I’m dealing with lack of humidity. I’m currently misting 3 times a day and added moss, which has seemed to help. I’ve been looking at a humidifier, but the zoomed variety gets horrible reviews. We love Buford and he is perk’n up every day!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hello! We live in a town about 60 minutes outside of Chicago. We had initially prepared for a desert species, so we have had to mix it up a bit..... I’m dealing with lack of humidity. I’m currently misting 3 times a day and added moss, which has seemed to help. I’ve been looking at a humidifier, but the zoomed variety gets horrible reviews. We love Buford and he is perk’n up every day!

Congratulations!

Welcome to TFO, it's a great place to learn about tortoises.

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most if us do not use humidifiers.
What you want is simple:
A strip "5.0" florescent UV lamp.
A CHE or 2 for warmth. Depending on the size of your enclosure.
And a top/lid for the enclosure.
We call an enclosure with a top a CLOSED CHAMBER.
A CLOSED CHAMBER works like a mini greenhouse. It keeps in warmth and humidity and will make keeping your Redfoot a lot simpler

Lolovespark

Sandwich, IL
Most if us do not use humidifiers.
What you want is simple:
A strip "5.0" florescent UV lamp.
A CHE or 2 for warmth. Depending on the size of your enclosure.
And a top/lid for the enclosure.
We call an enclosure with a top a CLOSED CHAMBER.
A CLOSED CHAMBER works like a mini greenhouse. It keeps in warmth and humidity and will make keeping your Redfoot a lot simpler

I uploaded some pics so you would know what I’m working with. We’ve already ordered the long uv light. Forgive me, where would I find a closed chamber? I’ve searched for green house toppers..... and am having trouble finding anything. Thank you!

DC943A9D-49B0-4422-A26A-58EBC8416124.jpeg F78CD12F-5D56-440F-9496-3D011B63EC64.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Babies can start in a glass aquarium with a cover a simple as aluminum foil to keep the humidity very high 80% +. Then just upsize in a few months as they grow put keeping it covered

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Unfortunately that tortoise "house" is much better suited for an arid species. Not a tropical one.
You'll need to place some pond liner or shower curtain material down under the substrate to protect the wood from rotting.
Use Orchid bark as a substrate and pour some water into the corners.
If it were me, I'd remove the entire top and replace it with plexiglass. Maybe re use the hinges?
Mount the strip florescent to the underside of the lid. UV cant pass through glass or plastic.
Bore a hole in the center of the plexiglass lid and affix the CHE there.
Maybe pop river a section of 1/4" steel mesh over a round hole about an inch larger than the CHE. Then place the CHE in that spot loosely.
How to mount the CHE is going to be up to you.
My house here in Florida has the AC on all year. Every day. The house is 73 degrees inside.
I found that with a closed chamber enclosure, my enclosure sat at exactly 79 degrees.....just from the heat given off by the tiny ballast inside of the strip florescent.
Perfect for a Redfoot.
Not too hot or cold. Not too much light either.

Lolovespark

Sandwich, IL
Unfortunately that tortoise "house" is much better suited for an arid species. Not a tropical one.
You'll need to place some pond liner or shower curtain material down under the substrate to protect the wood from rotting.
Use Orchid bark as a substrate and pour some water into the corners.
If it were me, I'd remove the entire top and replace it with plexiglass. Maybe re use the hinges?
Mount the strip florescent to the underside of the lid. UV cant pass through glass or plastic.
Bore a hole in the center of the plexiglass lid and affix the CHE there.
Maybe pop river a section of 1/4" steel mesh over a round hole about an inch larger than the CHE. Then place the CHE in that spot loosely.
How to mount the CHE is going to be up to you.
My house here in Florida has the AC on all year. Every day. The house is 73 degrees inside.
I found that with a closed chamber enclosure, my enclosure sat at exactly 79 degrees.....just from the heat given off by the tiny ballast inside of the strip florescent.
Perfect for a Redfoot.
Not too hot or cold. Not too much light either.

I shall give these very detailed recommendations to my husband! We did line the bottom thank God! You’ve been wonderful!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I shall give these very detailed recommendations to my husband! We did line the bottom thank God! You’ve been wonderful!
Buying a lot of less than ideal stuff....Spending good money on items that are not going to be needed or are actually harmful..It all stinks.
But once you've got everything dialed in things get simple and then you can just enjoy keeping your Redfoot.

Lolovespark

Sandwich, IL

In the mean time would a 12 x 24 inch piece of plexiglass laid on top of the 24x24 open area help increase humidity? While we build something more permanent? That would leave 12 inches open for breathing? Thanks again!