New red foot owners

Tyler Dietrich

My girlfriend and i just bought a young red foot tortoise yesterday. We are very excited about the new addition to our household and while we did extensive research on the topic of tortoises, how to house them, what lights to use and what to feed them, we are still having some doubts about our little guy. Mainly keeping the temperatures consistent and at a high enough level for him to thrive. We have a uvb 5.0 tube bulb and a 75w spot heat bulb, but we are concerned that this is not adequate enough because the enclosure still feels rather chilly. Any help would be great and we are not shy about answering any questions. We really want this little guy to have the best we can gim him!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
What are you using for night heat? What temperatures (highs and lows) are you seeing in your enclosure?

Tyler Dietrich

We did not use anything for nighttime heat last night (his first with us) because there wasnt much emphasis on that in our research for some reason. We actually just got done at the pet store where i asked some of these questions and they recommended a 100w night time spot bulb and an upgrade from the 75w to the 150w daytime spot bulb due to our house having cooler temperatures. I dont have any numbers on temperature ranges in the enclosure yet with this new set up, but i will report when i get them. What is a good range for a red foot because we have seen many conflicting numbers in our research?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Redfoot hatchlings don't like much in the way of temperature fluctuations. No lower than 80F at night (unless you keep your house very warm, you will need night heat). 83-87F is an okay daytime range. They don't need the ultra hot basking temperatures of some species, but they do need is consistently warm. A thermometer (and hygrometer) is really an essential for tortoise care, but especially for hatchlings. You want consistently warm and humid for your little one.

Tyler Dietrich

Ok, we are hoping that these new light set ups will do the trick for us. And we did buy a reliable thermometer with the lights. What is the best way to maintain consistent humidity?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It's very hard to maintain consistent high humidity without a cover on your enclosure. If you post photos of your set up, people here can give you good advice on how to alter it to maintain heat and humidity better.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Welcome and congratulations. Pics will definitely help. Check the redfoot page on the forum, as well as the beginners mistakes.

Tyler Dietrich

Here is the setup we currently have with the new lights added the larger dome on the left is a 150w spot bulb, the dome on the right is a 75w spot bulb and the hood lamp is a 5.0 uvb bulb. I measured the temps and have around 90 degrees on the hot end and around 80 on the cool end. At night i plan on replacing the 150w with a 100w night time spot and turning off the others. We live in Lancaster, PA and the house temperature generally hovers between 60 to 65 (thermostat is set to maintain a temp of 63)

20151206_161327_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A plant or two would help keep the humidity up in there, also, your lights might be up too high to effectively provide the heat you're trying for. I prefer plant saucers for waterers, and with the sloped sides, they are safer than the one you have. In order to keep your warm, moist air inside the habitat, it would help for you to cover the tub. A lot of folks using that type of tub, cut holes out for the lights and use the lid the tub comes with.

I'd be willing to bet that if you check that 5.0 fluorescent bulb with a UV meter you'll see it's not putting out much UVB.

Tyler Dietrich

So when i came home today i checked some temps in his enclosure and had close to 100 in his basking area with a gradient down to the mid 70s on the other end, i am concerned that putting the lid on will make the enclosure far too hot... Do i need to downgrade my bulb? I am using a 150w spot bulb

Tyler Dietrich

Also, yvonne, you suggested adding some plants to his enclosure, what live plants would be safe to add?

cupcake1674

I also have two babies , my first I got back in November (Linus)the second(Quickley) just a week ago, I had posted pics of my enclosure and was told to cover it to create humidity which is important so I have made a plastic top and my temps and humidity have been steady just have to tweek when we turn the ac down to ensure the temp stays steady he seems much more active now and the new guy Quickley is a bit shy but to be expected because it's new, however Linus my first red foot will come over to me when I call his name we have them on a good schedule for feeding they know when it's time and I rotate and track all feelings and make sure I give protein twice a week a hard boiled egg on Thursday and a steamed shrimp on Saturday and they enjoy it I also dust down the greens 3 times a week and always leave a cuddle bone in habitat I'm posting pics of my enclosure uncovered and and now the covered we put a piece of plexiglass in the side for viewing and a zipper for getting in and out so the moisture stays in , we feed on the dry cool side with a uvb bulb over that end of habitat the warm side is a red heat lamp that we have on a dimmer to control heat temps and that is on all the time to protect there eyes and to help keep them warm ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451054228.268162.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451054268.359428.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451054284.077348.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451054297.818734.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451054317.286668.jpgwe set them in the water twice a day to ensure there drinking plenty of water and I also clean it and make sure it's fresh after soaking I alternate veggies and fruit to give verity and once a week I give them cactus pad , I have a Christmas cactus in habitat and I'll be adding a few others later along with a mud pit , I'm really enjoying there personalities

Last edited: