New Red Foot Owner with questions

Ashleytortoise

At 15" you will have to cut a hole in your lid slightly smaller than the dome you choose. Then sit it over the hole. Because it's only 15" high you don't have the option of hanging your heat source inside of the enclosure. This is something for you to think about further down the line when you make a bigger enclosure. You will be wasting some heat through the top of the dome, can't be helped at this point. I have 3 che's in an enclosure with domes sat on enclosure the escaping heat in my case helps warm my tort room up.
I just got a blue daytime bulb instead of basking 100w and a Che bulb 60w as well and 8.5" dome. Shld I put Che in bigger dome and daytime light in smaller or the other way around? I also got dry tortoise food pellets and she is eating!!!! She ate for about 5 minutes and is now heading to her hole. Below r more pics. I'm at about 82f and 70% without Che bulb yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I just got a blue daytime bulb instead of basking 100w and a Che bulb 60w as well and 8.5" dome. Shld I put Che in bigger dome and daytime light in smaller or the other way around? I also got dry tortoise food pellets and she is eating!!!! She ate for about 5 minutes and is now heading to her hole. Below r more pics. I'm at about 82f and 70% without Che bulb yet.
I'd put the higher watt in the largest dome.
Also make sure your water and food trays are level to the substrate for ease of access, and fill that water to the top. Torts need to insert mouth and nostrils in water to drink.
Also it would be better of you fed your tort off something like slate or a terrocota plate. This will aid on keeping your torts beak in shape as s/he eats.

Ashleytortoise

I'd put the higher watt in the largest dome.
Also make sure your water and food trays are level to the substrate for ease of access, and fill that water to the top. Torts need to insert mouth and nostrils in water to drink.
Also it would be better of you fed your tort off something like slate or a terrocota plate. This will aid on keeping your torts beak in shape as s/he eats.
Thank u!! Ok so I probably need to burry my water tray. Yes I'm def looking for a diff food tray but rushed home to get the lighting squared away. Gonna see what lowes has for the feeding. Do u thjnk the uva in the daytime bulb will b blocked somewhat? If so I can unscrew the ceramic from dome and cut a hole in screen and adhere the dome that way. It will also b significantly closer to the substrate.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Thank u!! Ok so I probably need to burry my water tray. Yes I'm def looking for a diff food tray but rushed home to get the lighting squared away. Gonna see what lowes has for the feeding. Do u thjnk the uva in the daytime bulb will b blocked somewhat? If so I can unscrew the ceramic from dome and cut a hole in screen and adhere the dome that way. It will also b significantly closer to the substrate.
Is the blue daytime bulb a uvb bulb. If it is what height does it say you need it at on the box. You don't want that mesh your dome is resting on to obscure the uvb. But at the same time you don't want the uvb too close to your tort. So you need to work out what height it would be at if you split the dome before you take anything apart. Your other option is to cut a hole in the mesh about 2" smaller than your dome diameter and just sit it as it is now over the hole.