New Red Foot Owner with questions

Ashleytortoise

I'm new here. After a lot of research my daughter (9) decided on a redfoot. We have found a lot of conflicting information and are trying our best. I think our red foot is about 6 months old. Just got her Sunday. She's eaten a little on Monday but it's now Thursday and nothing. She's been exclusively in her hide. I was trying the leave her be approach, but nothing. Last night I soaked her in warm water for about 15 minutes. She perked up but no eating and back in hide after trying to dig under it (see pic). I've offered spring mix, spinach, kale, romaine, bell pepper, hibiscus leave, parsley. She did eat some romaine on Monday. No pooping either. I'm scared she's going to die. Breeder said she was very active. I can keep temps about 88 and humidity only about 50-60%. I tried turning light off at night hoping it wld help but don't think it makes much of a difference. I attached a pic of set up. I put paper in the front as I know glass isn't the best but wanted to see how she would do with it. She was trying to dig at the glass. I guess its helped since she stopped and she's been in her hide since. Help!!

house.jpg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your habitat needs to be warm and humid. Do you have to tools to measure those qualities? The temp can be overall 80 to 85F, as RF tortoises don't need a warm to cool gradient. Take a look at the info on RF tortoises in our Tortoise Library

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: Your tort needs total darkness to sleep. For night time heat, a lot of us use ceramic heat emitters also known as CHE's. You can find them at most pet stores and online. They emit heat, but no light. Just make sure the fixture you use is appropriate for a CHE. Ideally, you want the CHE hooked up to a thermostat so that it will kick on when needed, just light the heat system in your house.

Ashleytortoise

Welcome to TFO!!:tort: Your tort needs total darkness to sleep. For night time heat, a lot of us use ceramic heat emitters also known as CHE's. You can find them at most pet stores and online. They emit heat, but no light. Just make sure the fixture you use is appropriate for a CHE. Ideally, you want the CHE hooked up to a thermostat so that it will kick on when needed, just light the heat system in your house.
Ok I have seen CHE's and wasn't sure what the difference once between that and the basking light. Its pretty dark in its hide as it is. I have turned light off at night and it will get to about 75 or so inside the tank. 50% humidity. Thank you so much!

Ashleytortoise

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your habitat needs to be warm and humid. Do you have to tools to measure those qualities? The temp can be overall 80 to 85F, as RF tortoises don't need a warm to cool gradient. Take a look at the info on RF tortoises in our Tortoise Library
Yes in between the light in the pic and the plant to the right is where I have temp/humidity gauges. Its about 88F when light is on 60% humidity. When its off its about 75F with 50% humidity. I don't have a gauge on the darker side with hide, but I imagine its cooler.

Ashleytortoise

Perhaps if I get a better lid situation I can get more humidity and she will come out? Right now I just have a box covering about 3/4 of the top. We were waiting until we got her to finalize the bulb/lighting situation and cover to keep in humidity. I have a 100w basking bulb. I am getting conflicting info as to the best bulb, but am leaning more towards a 100W MVB. The MVB scare me a little. I also saw a bar that holds a UVB tub, basking light, and a night bulb for about $75 on Amazon. Wasn't sure if that would be a good option.

How long can she go with not eating? Maybe I should try fruit? I bought a kiwi for her, but haven't tried it yet. I just don't want to end up with a spoiled tort where that's all she will eat. Mazuri?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Ok I have seen CHE's and wasn't sure what the difference once between that and the basking light. Its pretty dark in its hide as it is. I have turned light off at night and it will get to about 75 or so inside the tank. 50% humidity. Thank you so much!
I don't keep redfoots so I'm not super knowledgeable on their care but with relatively high humidity you do not want the temp in the enclosure to drop below 80. Moderate to high humidity coupled with temps under 80 can be a recipe for an upper respiratory infection. I learned this the hard way with my Leopards.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Perhaps if I get a better lid situation I can get more humidity and she will come out? Right now I just have a box covering about 3/4 of the top. We were waiting until we got her to finalize the bulb/lighting situation and cover to keep in humidity. I have a 100w basking bulb. I am getting conflicting info as to the best bulb, but am leaning more towards a 100W MVB. The MVB scare me a little. I also saw a bar that holds a UVB tub, basking light, and a night bulb for about $75 on Amazon. Wasn't sure if that would be a good option.

How long can she go with not eating? Maybe I should try fruit? I bought a kiwi for her, but haven't tried it yet. I just don't want to end up with a spoiled tort where that's all she will eat. Mazuri?
Hi Ashley. Can you show us a better photo of your enclosure please. From the front. I need to see inside up on the ceiling. I'd take the paper off the glass too. Mine don't seem to bother about glass front at all. Also can you show us the gauges you are using please

Ashleytortoise

Attached are hopefully better pictures. I have a single temp gauge was going to put it on the side with her hide but need some backing it came off. Will b removing the paper.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashleytortoise

I soaked her again today for about 20 mins. Perked up again. Put her back in under light with food and she tried hiding under the two plants and is now in the hide again. I also offers her food during soak. Nothing. Getting worried.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Ashley and welcome
I use a mercury vapour bulb (MVB) and like it because it gives heat light and uvb in one bulb. I use a Ceramic heat emitter (CHE) run through a thermostat at night as this just gives heat without light. The thermostat can be set so that it comes on when temps drops and switches off to stop it getting too hot - it keeps the temps even.
Both MVB and CHE are in ceramic holders with wide domes.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Attached are hopefully better pictures. I have a single temp gauge was going to put it on the side with her hide but need some backing it came off. Will b removing the paper.
Can I have a look at that art studio game please, no no only joking. Been there done that lol.
How high is your tank. Also the dial type gauges are useless. I had problems with 3 different makes of them. One I used said I had 60% humidity(was baffling me why), I replaced it with a digital reader and it was actually 90%.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I soaked her again today for about 20 mins. Perked up again. Put her back in under light with food and she tried hiding under the two plants and is now in the hide again. I also offers her food during soak. Nothing. Getting worried.
I think your temps are too low. You need to be between 82f and 88f. Your gauge is near the top of your enclosure, if that is correct and reading 80/75f, at Tortoise level it will be lower, I'll guess 75/70f.
Your tort won't eat if its too cold, they need heat for the digestive system to work.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
As well as temps, make sure the enclosure is not overly bright. Redfoots do not like bright lighting and will hide from it. My reds enclosure is 27 square feet and is illuminated by just a single 5.0 uvb flourescent bulb.

Ashleytortoise

Hi Ashley and welcome
I use a mercury vapour bulb (MVB) and like it because it gives heat light and uvb in one bulb. I use a Ceramic heat emitter (CHE) run through a thermostat at night as this just gives heat without light. The thermostat can be set so that it comes on when temps drops and switches off to stop it getting too hot - it keeps the temps even.
Both MVB and CHE are in ceramic holders with wide domes.
Ok I have the clamp lamp dome rated to 100w. Do I need a deep dome for the mvb?

Ashleytortoise

As well as temps, make sure the enclosure is not overly bright. Redfoots do not like bright lighting and will hide from it. My reds enclosure is 27 square feet and is illuminated by just a single 5.0 uvb flourescent bulb.
Where do I get a 5.0 uvb fluorescent? That's different than an mvb? Is it a bar or does it go in the dome?

Ashleytortoise

I think your temps are too low. You need to be between 82f and 88f. Your gauge is near the top of your enclosure, if that is correct and reading 80/75f, at Tortoise level it will be lower, I'll guess 75/70f.
Your tort won't eat if its too cold, they need heat for the digestive system to work.
That makes a lot of sense. Didn't think about the thermostat being too high. Shld I add a Che on the other end near her hide? If they don't like bright light do I even need a basking light?