New red foot not eating.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
Good morning to all!
Last friday my wife bought a new Red and we named him Fang!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404647495.014494.jpg

But!
Since friday he havent eaten anything but just a few bites of mango.
He defecate a lot on friday and what he got out the back end was clearly undigested food!
She got Fang from a local Petsmart.
He looks active, we are giving him 3+ warm soaks a day. When we put him in the yard for some sunlight he was very active but in his inclosure just want to be in the hide.

Some advice with him!?!

We try all kinds of differents meals. Amd nothing!

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
hey dobby, nice tort you have there, hes a looker, he may be stressed from his home change, and in all honesty, petco and petsmart do not really ever keep there exotics in the correct conditions, they are not trained to unfortunately. what you have here is probably just a case of stress and incorrect care, just make sure this little guy gets a shallow, warm soak for about 15 mins every day, make sure his enclosure temps are warm and he has a basking spot, and keep his enclosure humid for him, offer a mix of foods, and always keep drinking water available, im pretty sure if you keep up with his temps, and soaks, he should get right back in to his normal routine and start eating again, i hope this helps!

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Thanks I will take your advice to the lettler.
Fang is our third red that we have right now. And the third from petsmart. And Dobby is our big red and she is doing great and the second was Raven but she died last year do to parasites. And the second one is Hedwig.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Lol... Reason for the harry potter theme?
Sometimes they can get stressed from the environment change, and a lot of petsmart torts have parasites... so maybe you should consider taking her a herpatologist to make sure she it healthy.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Well good news! She took some good bites out of some organic Kale. So she is starting to know that here we dont serve dry weird food jejeje.
Waiting that she eat some good food for a good feces sample to take it to the Vet cause the past day she had been defecating pieces of food not digested.

And jejeje yeah my wife is a Harry Potter fan.
Dobby, Hedwig, Fang.
And our late Raven.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Well after going down 10g since we got her. She is starting to gain some weight. She go up 3g. Thats a good sign.
Hoping that she give me some poop on saturday to make the stool check for any parasites.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Ohh yeah!
Looks like she likes to eat when nobody is in the house.
We are taking photos of the dinner plate in the morning and weighting it to check it in the afternoon to see how much she have eaten.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Well Fang not doing good.

Went from 189g two days ago to a 169g today.
She did some poop today and did a stool sample in the vet and went negative. just giving some bites to what we give her.

Some advice?? Need a little help here!
We give her Calcium in powder and Vitamins.
And warm soaks almost every day.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Well still the same at the moment!
Just taking a few bites of what we give him. But I decided to wait some time to see if he eat more. At least he is eating something. Cause he is gaing weight very slowly.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406154935.911109.jpg

I think he still scare of the change.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Well! Fang is eating more everyday.
But still worried with his feces.
It is still a juicy green stuff. Today in her soak he drop out a long weird white stuff. No idea what it could be. But! Today started to give him a good variaty of food to make him eat all of what hi want.

Turtlepete

South Florida
A more comfortable (and interesting, as the two go hand-in-hand) habitat goes leaps and bounds to acclimating new tortoises….Something his habitat seems to lack. There aren't any plants, only one hide, only a water bowl, and an open enclosure. I know it might have been all you had, but you should really give him a bigger space, and plant it up, offer a temperature gradient, etc..
Another thing I've found…Natural sunlight is pretty much one of the best natural medicines for reptiles there is. Some reptiles simply can't even live without it. It is mentally and physically crucial to their health. This is why you should attempt to keep tortoises outdoors as much as is possible. If your climate allows, you may consider this, or at least an outdoor play-pen. If you placed him in an outdoor play-pen, well-planted and moist to make him comfortable, and left graze (hibiscus, mulberry, chicory, plantain, leaves, leaves of greens, etc.., and pieces of fruit) out, he would be likely to start eating.
And definitely variety….If your trying to get a tortoise to eat, never ask yourself the question, "What can I try?". Ask the question "What CAN'T I try?". Anything from wet cat food to boiled chicken to boiled fish to raw shrimp would be useful in getting him feeding. "Junk foods" are perfectly acceptable in this scenario. And just keep offering different fruits, vegetables (things like baked sweet potatoe, baked mushrooms, etc.. are sometimes useful). Colourful foods….Tomatoes, papaya…Most reds won't turn down a papaya or a mango.

Good luck.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Thanks a lot for the info!
And I know that the habitat at the moment isnt very suitable for Fang.
I have a indoor wooden enclosure that I made for Dobby( the big one), but had to reduce the space for Hedwig being in quarantine. Now we have Fang and cant put her with the others do to space. In a few week I'll start a project to triple the size of the enclosure so the three can have their good space with good hides and live plants like it used too when we had only Dobby.
Just moved to a new house so the outdoors enclosure is on hold.
All three have good humidity here do to that I live in the tropics surrounded by a forrest. The temp is good also. Always over 85 during the day and over 75 in the night. Also I have two mercury vapor lamps for heat and UV. Also during the mornings the habitat gets plenty of sunlight and in the afternoon I take them outside daily for some sunlight and for them to walk around and do what ever they want.
For the food, everything is grown here at home. All is organic, even the soil. Always we give them a good variety of foods, between leafs, fruits veggies and flowers. Also give to them two times a week calcium in powder and Vitamins in gel. Also soon I'll get the miner-all supplement cause they love to eat wood and dirt and their own feces. After I do the bigger indoor habitat, i'll start with the outdoor. Right now is way too hot for them to be outside during the day and here we are going through some serious dry hot days, even going through a water shortage. So cant have them outside yet.

We take good care of them. Thanks to everybody in this forum that helped us a lot!!!

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
This is the feces of Fang everyday.
Cant make a stool sample out of this!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406755507.173312.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406755516.957362.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406755525.442973.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406755533.292566.jpg