New Red-Foot Mama!

Nikki Gee

Hello there!

I recently picked up a red footed tortoise from someone who could no longer care of them. I just started out, but I feel like maybe the person taking care of the cute little tort wasn't the best pet parent, sadly; their skin is very dry and I see some pyramiding. I've just done gathering most of the necessities and am working on a tortoise table! I'm hoping to take the lil one in for a vet visit as soon as I find a veterinarian whose skilled in caring for tortoise's. I'm new to caring for reptiles, so I'm sure I'll be asking a ton of questions!

And my first one is does anyone know a good exotic veterinarian in Austin, Texas?

PS. Their name is Sherbert!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know the geography of Texas, but if Beaumont is anywhere near Austin, this is a very good tortoise vet:

Todd M Westin, DVM
Sherwood Animal Clinic
(409) 842-5114

Nikki Gee

I don't know the geography of Texas, but if Beaumont is anywhere near Austin, this is a very good tortoise vet:

Todd M Westin, DVM
Sherwood Animal Clinic
(409) 842-5114
Unfortunately, Beaumont is clear across to the other side of Texas near Louisiana, where as Austin is right about the center. But I appreciate the suggestion!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Nikki and welcome to you and Sherbet. I am in Round Rock, and so happy to see another Austinite on TFO!!! The only vets in Austin area that I know of that do see torts are dr Lusk on Lamar (think he's with Westgate clinic) and guys at Research Blvd Pet and Bird clinic on 183 and Duval. We took our babies to the latter just recently for their very first well check. Dr Mitchell was very nice, but just to lay their eyes and hands on your tort (no meds, no tests, no fecal, nothing) they charge 68$ per tort. I think Westgate charges 64$ and I heard good things about dr Lusk there, but the other clinic was able to get us in during spring break and I wanted for my daughter (the torts' Mom) to be there. I got couple of redfoot babies for my daughter who's 11, so guess who's on the forum all the time asking questions/learning? Yes! The torts' grandma!

Last edited:

Nikki Gee

Hi Nikki and welcome to you and Sherbet. I am in Round Rock, and so happy to see another Austinite on TFO!!! The only vets in Austin area that I know of that do see torts are dr Lusk on Lamar (think he's with Westgate clinic) and guys at Research Blvd Pet and Bird clinic on 183 and Duval. We took our babies to the latter just recently for their very first well check. Dr Mitchell was very nice, but just to lay their eyes and hands on your tort (no meds, no tests, no fecal, nothing) they charge 68$ per tort. I think Westgate charges 64$ and I heard good things about dr Lusk there, but the other clinic was able to get us in during spring break and I wanted for my daughter (the torts' Mom) to be there.

Oh that's really, good to know! I live closer to Cedar Park, so Westgate is a bit far out for me, but just now I was about to call the Research Clinic to make an appointment. I was researching prices for just a check up, so thanks for the heads up!

I think I may look into getting a few tests for Sherbert, though, because I'm not sure how often the previous owner took them in for a wellness check. Have you ever had to get tests done? If so, do you happen to remember the prices for them?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Oh that's really, good to know! I live closer to Cedar Park, so Westgate is a bit far out for me, but just now I was about to call the Research Clinic to make an appointment. I was researching prices for just a check up, so thanks for the heads up!

I think I may look into getting a few tests for Sherbert, though, because I'm not sure how often the previous owner took them in for a wellness check. Have you ever had to get tests done? If so, do you happen to remember the prices for them?
No tests yet. Our babies came from a breeder last year and have been growing beautifully. We had another pet who had been sick and consuming our entire vet care budget and much more so we just kept putting off the babies' well check. If you are on tight budget be upfront about that with the vet who sees Sherbet. They can tell a lot by looking/listening/feeling just like human docs. You have mentioned being new to reptiles. I was too! Almost a year ago (in June). If you post pics of Sherbet and how you keep him (enclosure pics) we'll be able to help you get things where they should be. Glad you've found this place. You'll get all the support necessary to raise healthy tortoise

Nikki Gee

No tests yet. Our babies came from a breeder last year and have been growing beautifully. We had another pet who had been sick and consuming our entire vet care budget and much more so we just kept putting off the babies' well check. If you are on tight budget be upfront about that with the vet who sees Sherbet. They can tell a lot by looking/listening/feeling just like human docs. You have mentioned being new to reptiles. I was too! Almost a year ago (in June). If you post pics of Sherbet and how you keep him (enclosure pics) we'll be able to help you get things where they should be. Glad you've found this place. You'll get all the support necessary to raise healthy tortoise

Awww! How many babies do you have? And what kind?

I can do that as soon as I get home this evening! Their lodgings are only temporary as I inherited all the things from the previous owner, and I must say I'm disappointed in the appearance of the enclosure, so I may hold off on pictures of their humble abode until I've spruced it up a bit. But I'd be more than happy to post some pictures of my lil' tort! I don't know what kind of condition they're in health wise, so it'll be nice to get some advice on what to ask the vet. And I just made an appointment for early next month on the 7th! I figure if I set aside $100 or so, that should cover the visit ($68) and one or two tests if they need.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Awww! How many babies do you have? And what kind?

I can do that as soon as I get home this evening! Their lodgings are only temporary as I inherited all the things from the previous owner, and I must say I'm disappointed in the appearance of the enclosure, so I may hold off on pictures of their humble abode until I've spruced it up a bit. But I'd be more than happy to post some pictures of my lil' tort! I don't know what kind of condition they're in health wise, so it'll be nice to get some advice on what to ask the vet. And I just made an appointment for early next month on the 7th! I figure if I set aside $100 or so, that should cover the visit ($68) and one or two tests if they need.
Don't worry about being judged for the previous owners' mistakes. This is not that kind of a forum here. There are many people posting about serious health problems that are results of their husbandry mistakes and no one tears them to shreds but rather gives advise in how to improve the torts' living conditions/diet etc and what can be done to help with illness. I suspect there are not that many tort owners who can afford to create perfect sanctuaries for their pets. We all just do the best that we can. We have kept our babies in 40 gal covered tank because this was just the best way for us to keep them warm and humid. They will be moving outside to my backyard when they get bigger. It's not about PERFECT. It's about us enjoying our pets and doing our best for them having their best interest in mind. Our babies will be a year old soon. One is Redfoot (supposedly girl), the other is Brazilian Cherryhead, also type of redfoot (supposedly boy). I have made SO MANY mistakes with them, I can probably save you from doing this same.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Hi and welcome! I also own a redfoot, they are very cool creatures!
I'm also curious for pics, and I promise I won't judge ;)

If you are building a table/enclosure: it's best to make a closed chamber type enclosure, to keep heat and humidity in. With an open topped table, that's hardly impossible...

Good luck, also with the vet visit!