New Radiated but worried. Please calm me down.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
I have mine when they are outside on grass. In an enclosed pen. I use the Coco fiber when moved indoors.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Saw her eating today! Decided to leave it outside over night and stop bringing it in. I'm going to stop soaking it for a couple days too. Things seem to be improving. Fingers crossed.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Saw her eating today! Decided to leave it outside over night and stop bringing it in. I'm going to stop soaking it for a couple days too. Things seem to be improving. Fingers crossed.
Good news if she's eating! However, I would advise you to give her daily soaks in warm water.

As for leaving her outside, is it safe enough? if I may ask.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No pooping that I have seen. Has not pooped during soaks. Ugh, I'm just really starting to worry. All the other tortoises I have never acted like this when I brought them home. She doesn't try to escape her soaking tub. It does look like she's drinking though and it's hard to say but I think she's nibbled some Mazuri. I checked on her 30 min after putting her in the pen this morning and she moved herself to the hide. So I guess that's an improvement. Yesterday it took her about 6 hours before she moved from where I put her. I also filled her soaking tub this morning so she had to swim a little just to make sure her limbs were working. It was nice to see some activity. Eyes and nose looks clear and she seems fine otherwise. My stomach is in knots. I wish I had a god to pray to.

No personal experience, but I have heard from several radiata keepers that some of them are this way. Its a species I'm interested in, so I talk about them with people a fair amount.

On another note, usually when people are selling juveniles or yearlings, they are not selling their favorites… Just sayin'...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmm. Good point.

I don't mean that to sound the wrong way. I don't know Dan at all. I'm just speaking from personal experience. I have my favorites, for a variety of reasons, and I would sell off "all the other ones" first, if I were inclined to sell.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Not every Radiated Tortoise is AAA high yellow. I would always be happy with any tortoise I have purchased. No buyer's remorse. I have added and then decided on what color i was striving for and at what price point. Sometimes really super stuff comes up for sale and you might have to jump on it. This one was offered to me in March of 2015. Big bucks but would not pass it up. Turned out to be male which was what I was hoping for. So Tom's comment about holding back only the best and selling the leftovers doesn't always apply. Thanks John Lucas for the opportunity. No regrets. Maybe you do though.P8242062.JPG

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Calm down! :)
There, as instructed.
It sounds from those who know their onions and what you say, that things are improving.
It's just settling in; hopefully.
Very pretty, too.:)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Not every Radiated Tortoise is AAA high yellow. I would always be happy with any tortoise I have purchased. No buyer's remorse. I have added and then decided on what color i was striving for and at what price point. Sometimes really super stuff comes up for sale and you might have to jump on it. This one was offered to me in March of 2015. Big bucks but would not pass it up. Turned out to be male which was what I was hoping for. So Tom's comment about holding back only the best and selling the leftovers doesn't always apply. Thanks John Lucas for the opportunity. No regrets. Maybe you do though.View attachment 184677
A lovely tort.