New Radiated but worried. Please calm me down.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471896243.575354.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471896254.866970.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471896267.990018.jpg

So I got my first radiated in Daytona on Saturday. I am super excited but she does not move. She does not hide or stay in the corner. She stays right where I put her. She looks fine and I know she needs to adjust but I'm still worried sick. I need someone to tell me it's going to be ok.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
View attachment 184465View attachment 184466View attachment 184467

So I got my first radiated in Daytona on Saturday. I am super excited but she does not move. She does not hide or stay in the corner. She stays right where I put her. She looks fine and I know she needs to adjust but I'm still worried sick. I need someone to tell me it's going to be ok.
A very warm welcome to the forum!:)

Your cute tort looks fine and healthy.You've answered your own question: torts take a lot of time to adjust to a new place. She's probably still scared/insecure. Take it easy.;) It's only a matter of time and of course patience from your part.

Please give her daily soaks in warm water. Is her enclosure warm and humid enough? Is she eating, drinking, pooping?

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
She came from a reputable breeder. I've only had her for 48 hours but have not seen any eating or pooping. I think she ate a Mazuri pellet. She's outside in the Tampa weather. High is 90*F and humidity is over 65%. I also have a mister that goes off 2x a day during the hottest parts. Enclosure is heavily shaded. My redfoots, yellow foots and elongateds are doing great. I have also soaked her for 20 min every day. And she is almost two years old so it's not a hatchling.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have a Rad. But I would guess it's just needing to adjust. Older ones need more time then most hatchlings. At least I have noticed that with the three older torts I got compared to my two hatchlings

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Beautiful! Don't worry, my tortoise didn't eat or poop or even really move for the first two days. Try hand feeding her some food. Maybe it'll perk her interest. I'm sure she's fine, but I completely understand your concern!!!!:):) Take a deep breath. ;)

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure she's ok. It's easy for me to worry about any new tortoise and a rare tortoise that I've considered to be the ultimate in the hobby and paid so much for.. Well it makes freak outs real easy. I was hoping to hear that this is common for rads or something. But she did move herself to the hide I provided and looks like she was drinking during her soak. Fingers crossed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe I'm wrong on it being an adult. The pic looks like an older one. The enclosure looks like it's for a young one. Just keep up the soaks and try offering different foods until she eats. A couple days is not that long for any tort.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
It's still pretty small. Will be two years old in October. I just keep thinking of the hatchlings and adults I've bought of other species. They are usually trying to escape the box I transport them in and then they usually try to escape or hide once you get them in their enclosure. This one just sits there for hours. I watched it eat while I was at the expo. It was chewing on lettuce as I walked around. It's eyes are open and it looks fine. I just wish it would move around a little.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
View attachment 184465View attachment 184466View attachment 184467

So I got my first radiated in Daytona on Saturday. I am super excited but she does not move. She does not hide or stay in the corner. She stays right where I put her. She looks fine and I know she needs to adjust but I'm still worried sick. I need someone to tell me it's going to be ok.[/QUOTE

Hi! How is your tort doing today? Hope to hear things are better, though it is going to take time, that we all know.

Has she eaten, pooped?

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
No pooping that I have seen. Has not pooped during soaks. Ugh, I'm just really starting to worry. All the other tortoises I have never acted like this when I brought them home. She doesn't try to escape her soaking tub. It does look like she's drinking though and it's hard to say but I think she's nibbled some Mazuri. I checked on her 30 min after putting her in the pen this morning and she moved herself to the hide. So I guess that's an improvement. Yesterday it took her about 6 hours before she moved from where I put her. I also filled her soaking tub this morning so she had to swim a little just to make sure her limbs were working. It was nice to see some activity. Eyes and nose looks clear and she seems fine otherwise. My stomach is in knots. I wish I had a god to pray to.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No pooping that I have seen. Has not pooped during soaks. Ugh, I'm just really starting to worry. All the other tortoises I have never acted like this when I brought them home. She doesn't try to escape her soaking tub. It does look like she's drinking though and it's hard to say but I think she's nibbled some Mazuri. I checked on her 30 min after putting her in the pen this morning and she moved herself to the hide. So I guess that's an improvement. Yesterday it took her about 6 hours before she moved from where I put her. I also filled her soaking tub this morning so she had to swim a little just to make sure her limbs were working. It was nice to see some activity. Eyes and nose looks clear and she seems fine otherwise. My stomach is in knots. I wish I had a god to pray to.
Take it easy please.

You mentioned that your tort did eat. Well, that a step ahead; is it not?

Be patient: we all know torts do NOT like change and take time to get used to it. I believe that's the case with yours.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
One if my Radiated tortoises behaved like what you are describing. She tended to just sit wherever I would place her. In the outside pen she wouldn't move until she got too hot in the sun. In her inside cage she might not move from where she was fed breakfast until I came to put her outside. She is four years old now and much more active but still not as active as the others.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I hope she starts moving around for you soon. :( I think keepergale is right, she really will be fine. Just in case... I have God to pray to, so I'll do it for you. :)

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Take it easy please.

You mentioned that your tort did eat. Well, that a step ahead; is it not?

Be patient: we all know torts do NOT like change and take time to get used to it. I believe that's the case with yours.
I know the above sounds like a lot of prodding but the only interaction is taking it from night box to soak for 15 min then to its pen. 12 hours later she's back in the night box. Definitely trying to keep my distance and minimize stress.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
One if my Radiated tortoises behaved like what you are describing. She tended to just sit wherever I would place her. In the outside pen she wouldn't move until she got too hot in the sun. In her inside cage she might not move from where she was fed breakfast until I came to put her outside. She is four years old now and much more active but still not as active as the others.

Well, that's better than it being sick or dying. I hope it's not going to be a sloth though! Lol. But that really is comforting to hear.

Last edited:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi. :) How are things now @voodoochild ? Hope there's been some improvement as far as you tort is concerned.;)

Please keep us updated, and good luck. :D

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Only comment I would make is on the youngsters, I prefer to use Coco Fiber instead of mulch. I have had better success with no issues related to them eating the substrate or nasal irritation. The coco fiber is so fine, they could eat it and pass on through. Can not tell from pic if these are the babies from Sean Meyer or Dan Pearson's or one of Dan's year olds.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I got them from Dan but hatch date was oct of 14. I've never tried to use coco fiber outside. Wouldn't it get washed away? I use it in indoor setups but seems like outdoor pens would require too much.