New Radi Mamma in Texas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

triSARAHtops

5 Year Member
Hey y'all! I've been silently stalking this forum for a while now and finally decided to join! :)

I'm a 20-something new mother (well technically they're my father's, but I'll inevitably inherit them in 10-15 years as dad approaches his golden years) to four beautiful radiated tortoise babies in North Texas. I'm completely obsessed with them!! :D They're about six months old now (July 2012) and while I knew what we were getting into well beforehand, I had no idea that they'd be this much fun with this much personality right off the bat.

Pictures coming soon once I get some recents and figure out how to upload them but my "children" are:

Hammie - The littlest one! Several weeks younger than the other three, Hammie's obviously a little behind the others growth-wise. That's okay though because it makes him the cutest of the group and he knows it! He's my Mr. Personality and reminds me more of a puppy than anything else!

Dart - Named after my brother's alma mater (Dartmouth), he earned his name from being the stereotypical "Ivy-League narcissist" of the group. He's a little less personable and he prefers "fancy" food like corn. If he were human I could totally see him as a "hipster" sipping $5 cups of coffee while spending the day on his iPad.

Domer - Named after my own alma mater (Notre Dame), he earned his name from his size and "beauty" blood lines. ND is famous for our golden dome, so it seemed appropriate that the looker of our "domed" pets should get the ND reference. He's also the most dominate of the group, which kinda reminds me of more than a few dedicated football fans of Notre Dame. Loud and proud! (And slightly obnoxious but that's okay.) I don't know if behavior is telling this early, but if I had to put money on it, Domer's the most likely to be a boy.

Drama - Definitely the oddball of the group, no other name could fit more appropriately than the lovable loser, Johnny "Drama" Chase, of the epic HBO series, Entourage. We're not sure if the other three pick on him (does this happen at this age? we've not really noticed anything) but he doesn't participate in group huddles/dog piles as often as the other three, sleeps outside, and has a certain penchant for lima beans (which the others won't touch.) Not gonna lie, but I have a slight soft spot for Drama (though I love all these guys like kids! No favorites I promise!)

I know I refer to all of them with masculine names/pronouns, but we do actually hope that at least two of three of them end up being girls. We plan to breed them once they're mature and contribute to the survival and proliferation of this amazing, endangered species!

Again, I'll be posting pictures soon. Any other radiated nuts out there? Especially in the Texas/Southwest area? I'd love to chat!

<3 triSARAHtops

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi triSARAHtops:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!

Very inventive username. Is your name Sarah?

Glad to see another radiated keeper on the forum. We don't have many.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
triSARAHtops said:
Hey y'all! I've been silently stalking this forum for a while now and finally decided to join! :)

I'm a 20-something new mother (well technically they're my father's, but I'll inevitably inherit them in 10-15 years as dad approaches his golden years) to four beautiful radiated tortoise babies in North Texas. I'm completely obsessed with them!! :D They're about six months old now (July 2012) and while I knew what we were getting into well beforehand, I had no idea that they'd be this much fun with this much personality right off the bat.

Pictures coming soon once I get some recents and figure out how to upload them but my "children" are:

Hammie - The littlest one! Several weeks younger than the other three, Hammie's obviously a little behind the others growth-wise. That's okay though because it makes him the cutest of the group and he knows it! He's my Mr. Personality and reminds me more of a puppy than anything else!

Dart - Named after my brother's alma mater (Dartmouth), he earned his name from being the stereotypical "Ivy-League narcissist" of the group. He's a little less personable and he prefers "fancy" food like corn. If he were human I could totally see him as a "hipster" sipping $5 cups of coffee while spending the day on his iPad.

Domer - Named after my own alma mater (Notre Dame), he earned his name from his size and "beauty" blood lines. ND is famous for our golden dome, so it seemed appropriate that the looker of our "domed" pets should get the ND reference. He's also the most dominate of the group, which kinda reminds me of more than a few dedicated football fans of Notre Dame. Loud and proud! (And slightly obnoxious but that's okay.) I don't know if behavior is telling this early, but if I had to put money on it, Domer's the most likely to be a boy.

Drama - Definitely the oddball of the group, no other name could fit more appropriately than the lovable loser, Johnny "Drama" Chase, of the epic HBO series, Entourage. We're not sure if the other three pick on him (does this happen at this age? we've not really noticed anything) but he doesn't participate in group huddles/dog piles as often as the other three, sleeps outside, and has a certain penchant for lima beans (which the others won't touch.) Not gonna lie, but I have a slight soft spot for Drama (though I love all these guys like kids! No favorites I promise!)

I know I refer to all of them with masculine names/pronouns, but we do actually hope that at least two of three of them end up being girls. We plan to breed them once they're mature and contribute to the survival and proliferation of this amazing, endangered species!

Again, I'll be posting pictures soon. Any other radiated nuts out there? Especially in the Texas/Southwest area? I'd love to chat!

<3 triSARAHtops

See all that stuffs cool and all but wheres the pics??? ;) In all seriousness welcome to the forum and I'm glad you found some new companions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D love the names and personalities you think they have, funny. I don't know anything about your species, but bullying could be going on. So just be on the look out. If let on it's own to continue, it could be very bad/death. Can't wait to see the pics.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Welcome to the forum! Please post pictures soon, I can't wait to see the babies!!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Sounds like quite the herd. :D

Jeez, so many Texans here. Lovely place, traveled all over Texas.

Welcome!

PS, Your name reminds me of Sarah the Triceratops in "The Land Before Time" movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.