New pics of outdoor enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
We added new covers this winter to the big outdoor pens. The seeds are starting to sprout but they are taking there time. My hubby is going to install a misting system this weekend that will water 5 days a week, when the plants are being watered. Then I will make it rain the other two days by hand.

0321091820.jpg

0321091820a.jpg

Inside the yearling DT's pen..
0321091825.jpg

Inside the yearling/2yr olds sullys pen (the seeds are taking there time to grow)
0321091825a.jpg

Inside Simon's enclosure
0321091822.jpg

0321091821.jpg

0321091821a.jpg

Inside the russians pen
0321091823.jpg

0321091823a.jpg

0321091823b.jpg

The holyhock in the russian pen finally took off this year, they hide under it and eat at the same time. I tried transplanting grass that was growing under one of my trees, unfortunatly as you can see it died.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Great-looking enclosures. Safe and secure. I really like them.

Yvonne

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks, I was worried about how much I covered them with the shade cloth, but I've been watching and they have sun on one side for the morning then by the time it gets hot, they have shade. I'm hoping the russians will spread out, last summer they all piled on top of each other around the water pond. I added underground hides and they have been using those, plus hiding under the holyhock and in there above ground hides. I just wish the seeds would sprout already.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jen your pens look wonderful. I love them. I'd send some green thumb your way, to help with your seeds, but I don't think I have any left. My holyhocks haven't even come up yet. I just sent for more seeds so we will see it the problem with mine are my green thumb :p or if the seeds are just too old?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'm jealous! I was thinking how many more months it will be here until i can even take the tort out for a quick walk.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Crazy1 said:
Jen your pens look wonderful. I love them. I'd send some green thumb your way, to help with your seeds, but I don't think I have any left. My holyhocks haven't even come up yet. I just sent for more seeds so we will see it the problem with mine are my green thumb :p or if the seeds are just too old?

Yeah, I think I need to have my hubby use his green thumb :p He is much better then me when it comes to plants. 3 out 4 of my holyhocks have died over the last two years, and the daylillies didn't come back up this year, I think the torts pulled up the roots. They love those things. I must say the hibiscus has been producing tons of flowers everyday - makes for happy torts (there treats). I used old and new seeds, I'm hoping as it warms up the rest of the seeds will sprout.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow Jen, Amazing. I alsmot wish I was one of your tortoises to live in a home like that :D.
What kind of cloth did you use to cover the pens (I like the idea :) )

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I used shade cloth from walmart, but you can get it at any hardware store.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i think your setups are amazing! is there anything underground so no predators can dig in and such?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
jobeanator said:
i think your setups are amazing! is there anything underground so no predators can dig in and such?

It is buried a foot into the ground and I have chicken wire running across the bottom under the substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.