new pet tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

noey apple

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i am 8 years old and i have decided to get a tortoise but i don't know witch kind to get.i want one that stays small.does enyone have eny suggestions for me?

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
Russian Horsefield tortoises are a good first tortoise as they are a hardy species, have their own little personalities and dont grow big.

noey apple

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thank you for writing back.how big do the russian tortoises get?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
max usually about 8 inches. do your parents know you want a tortoise?

if you are going to get one, dont go to a pet store. get one directly from a breeder or a tortoise that needs a home.

what city do you live in?

noey apple

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i live in winnipeg canada my parents know i'm getting a tortoise.they think it's good for me to help with researching.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
okay thats good. i dont know if anyone on this site is from where you live. but try to find a russian tortoise...to see what one looks like..go to google.com and type russian tortoise.

look at images. they are small yellowish tortoises. they are very cute and easy to take care of.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If you choose to get a tortoise you will want to make sure you have the home ready before you bring the tortoise home, if you want it to stay small then I suggest you find a male as they stay smaller then the females. Females can get up to 10" or so.

A site to start with for research would be.... http://www.russiantortoise.org/index.htm good luck in your search if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
noey apple, welcome to the site. I think you might be our youngest member. Good job on doing research before getting your tortoise, that is a very important first step to good tortoise care. There are a lot of different thoughts on the care of tortoises. Read and study all you can and you will make a good tortoise keeper. I agree a Russian Tortoise is a very good first tortoise, and I think an older tortoise is easier than a hatchling to take care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.