New Owner

Carcnjcnj

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Good evening everyone, hope everyone had a safe and healthy holiday.

my husband and I recently bought at baby easternHerman. We researched the appropriate enclosure, heat index, UV exposure needed ,humidity levels needed substrate types and preferences etc.

We’ve had spike for a few weeks now and I am growing concerned as he seems to stay in the darker / not exposed to lamp “open” side nearly as much as he used to. He used to walk all around his home stop for a bite, enjoy the basking sun for an hour or two then snuggle under his moss before retreating to the darker part of enclosure for the evening. The last 3 or 4 days now he’s stayed under his moss mostly on the darker side of the enclosure. Hasn’t moved or eaten that I can tell. I keep the routine of fresh food and water etc lights on early morning. I have checked on him a few time , mid day disturbed him to place him near the fresh food and to see how he looks.
He will sit there for a moment or two and then proceed back to his nestled spot in the dark moss.
Is this normal for babies?
I have a growing feeling it is not - any advice would be greatly appreciated. This forum has been tremendous to read though and appreciate all of the experienced owners that help with responses.
Thank you In advance

Carly

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to TFO!

There is a huge amount of old, outdated, conflicting info on the internet, and unfortunately some of it is not only wrong, but even dangerous. This problem is compounded by the fact that most pet stores, vets, and even some breeders don't have any idea how to care for a tort.

You have finally found the place that can clear your head and give up-to-date, accurate advice to you.

The best place to start is with this care sheet. Read it and compare what it says to what you are providing. Then come back and ask questions. We're happy to explain why we say what we do.

If there are changes you need to make, we can help with links to recommended supplies, etc. Most of what torts need comes from the hardware store or Amazon. Very little from the pet store, who will sell you the wrong stuff at an exhorbitant price.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Good evening everyone, hope everyone had a safe and healthy holiday.

my husband and I recently bought at baby easternHerman. We researched the appropriate enclosure, heat index, UV exposure needed ,humidity levels needed substrate types and preferences etc.

We’ve had spike for a few weeks now and I am growing concerned as he seems to stay in the darker / not exposed to lamp “open” side nearly as much as he used to. He used to walk all around his home stop for a bite, enjoy the basking sun for an hour or two then snuggle under his moss before retreating to the darker part of enclosure for the evening. The last 3 or 4 days now he’s stayed under his moss mostly on the darker side of the enclosure. Hasn’t moved or eaten that I can tell. I keep the routine of fresh food and water etc lights on early morning. I have checked on him a few time , mid day disturbed him to place him near the fresh food and to see how he looks.
He will sit there for a moment or two and then proceed back to his nestled spot in the dark moss.
Is this normal for babies?
I have a growing feeling it is not - any advice would be greatly appreciated. This forum has been tremendous to read though and appreciate all of the experienced owners that help with responses.
Thank you In advance

Carly

A picture is worth a thousand words. Pls show us some pics of the tort and the enclosure, lighting, etc. . . It is super easy to post images on this site for this very reason.

Carcnjcnj

New Jersey
A picture is worth a thousand words. Pls show us some pics of the tort and the enclosure, lighting, etc. . . It is super easy to post images on this site for this very reason.

good morning thank you - attachedAre photos for review. Thank you for the help.

6EDBE1D4-4557-4777-B036-8421D2FED70D.jpeg84A81702-3AB0-43C7-A657-8C2CA85766EE.jpeg56603FFE-88D5-4787-B31E-B02885DCC478.jpeg62B6E7DB-A9B5-477C-990F-6867B3C97036.jpeg133E5E85-65EA-43FD-AB23-82C901AFD9F8.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see a few things I would change if this were my tortoise:

First of all, the enclosure is directly under a window and on the floor. Cool air comes in off the glass and flows down the wall and into the enclosure. And, as cool air sinks and warm air rises, the floor is the coldest place in the house for a tortoise.

The manufactured tortoise enclosures aren't big enough for a full grown tortoise of any species. Baby tortoises can live there for a year, but bigger tortoises need more walking around space.

Your species of tortoise doesn't need a humidifier.

the water dish you're using is really not made for hard bodied, non bendable animals like tortoises. A plant saucer works better.

We have a great care sheet for you to read: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Herman_WA

Washington
I have used that same water dish in the past, and my tort kept on flipping himself in there and couldn't get back up. Also mine started cracking and leaking for no good reason. No matter how much we sealed it up it kept cracking! I don't recommend using this for your tort...

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Well, good morning from many fellow tortoise families out there!
It seems like you care about your new baby as much as your husband !

Now, first thing!
Sorry if it kind of sucks to have to hear that some reptile supplies from the store are bad for tortoises! It happens to the best of us.
I immediately had to dispose of a water dish just like that after just getting one. That human consumer inside me could not admit that it was actually a death trap for my baby redfoot until I had to read TONS of flipping stories from other members. Sad stories, if you cannot see it soon enough.