mackee.miller

Location (City and/or State)
Dayton Ohio
My tortoise should be delivered tomorrow. I was wondering if there is any tips or things I should know. I read a lot about care, but I think the most useful info will come from people who have actual done this.

Specific questions I have are
-How close should my bathing rock be to my heat lamp?
-What should I put at the bottom of my enclosure?
-Other than leafy greens and other fruits and veggies.. What do I feed him? I saw things about calcium powder and pellets but I am not sure about frequency of these things.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello and welcome! What kind of tortoise are you getting?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome to the forum. We need to know what type of tortoise you are getting. We have species specif are’s for different torts, that will help you in setting them up and raising them the proper way.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Welcome! Hermann's are awesome!

Don't stress over the rock thing, most torts don't like sitting under bright lights. That's why I prefer CHE for heat. Temperature can be easily monitored with digital temp gauges you can buy on Amazon or similar sites (they are pretty cheap). If you mean a UV lamp, they don't instinctively know it's good for them and babies may not want to go in the light at all. It's good to just have it available, and if you're worried about UV, you can take your tortoise for trips outdoors when the weather is nice for some natural sunlight.

There are a few different things tort owners use for substrate, a popular one here is orchid bark, or the coconut bark that is square (not slivers). Look for this at home supply stores (cheaper than pet stores!). You can put organic soil under the bark to let your little buddy burrow and dig. If it's a baby, they do like to burrow and sleep a lot!

Offering cuttlebone is generally better than powdered calcium or blocks.

Here is a care sheet by one of the most well-known experts on Hermman's.