New owner to a Sulcata! Advice please

CR13

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I purchase a 2.5 inch sulcata today. And I feel like I didn't purchase the correct bedding for her 15 gallon tank. I would appreciate it if I could have more information and answers to my questions below. How long am I soaking her for and how many days a week? What lighting is needed (brand, where can I buy the heat lamp at can it be placed right above her tank or does it need to be hanging)... also I'm worried about her eye let me know if this is normal and if I need to take her to a vet! When I got her she had one eye half closed few hours later she wouldnt open one eye! I cleaned around her eye but she has no mucus nor bubbles near her nose...

Attachments

• 20190818_212836.jpg
    20190818_212836.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 19

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum! You've found the very best place to get the most accurate, up to date info.

Start with these care sheets, and come back with questions.

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?posts/716928

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Where did you get your baby? The first thing to do is start those soaks...for now, 30-45 min every day.

Make sure you are not using a curly type cfl light. They can be a cause of the eye issue. You need a strip type uv bulb.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Definitely read through that thread that Karen posted. Really good info. And a 15 gallon is gonna be way to small even for a baby. A 55 gallon can do for a short time but will quickly outgrow that as well if kept in optimum conditions

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings..

Yep, follow the info that Karen provided!

Soaks - start daily, asap, forever :)
Heat - get thst right, no “cold spots”, minimum 80 ambient...
Humidity - yes, as high as you can keep it.
Enclosure - large, lots of moist coco coir, orchid bark, etc.
Proper lighting
Mixed variety of food

And SOAKINGS! did i say that. Start soaking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I purchase a 2.5 inch sulcata today. And I feel like I didn't purchase the correct bedding for her 15 gallon tank. I would appreciate it if I could have more information and answers to my questions below. How long am I soaking her for and how many days a week? What lighting is needed (brand, where can I buy the heat lamp at can it be placed right above her tank or does it need to be hanging)... also I'm worried about her eye let me know if this is normal and if I need to take her to a vet! When I got her she had one eye half closed few hours later she wouldnt open one eye! I cleaned around her eye but she has no mucus nor bubbles near her nose...
Hello and welcome. Let us know if you've got more questions. We're here to talk tortoises.