New Owner Show-and-Tell!

Nephelle

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm going to nominate you to be a moderator. This is very good!

It made me really happy to know that you liked it, Yvonne, because I had you in mind when I put it together. I wasn't sure if there was already something like it made, but I've noticed a lot of "help me" threads hit a wall because people aren't sure how to post the pics you need to advise care. If you can find it helpful in any way, I will be super tickled :D

:<3::<3:

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
The small grassy stuff is a weed seed mix: dandelion, clover, and testudo mix from Tortoise supply. The plants behind are a Prayer Plant and something commonly called "mother in law's tongue." All tort safe, the weeds obviously being specifically for snacking purposes. (I reseed about weekly).

The enclosure is 4x3 on level one, about about 18 in by 4ft on the second level. Hopefully we can get a year or two out of it before we need to upgrade!

I would love love love to see pics of your enclosure!! The double decker ones are so awesome and such a great idea to increase roaming space. I am gathering all sorts of ideas in my head for Millie's future home(s), and this sounds great!

Also great to know about the testudo mix...I have some planted but she's cutting through it and leaving trails that look like tiny tortoise crop circles. I wasn't sure if I should reseed those spots or wait to see if anything pops up after. I will reseed ;)

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Omgosh I want to respond to everyone's pictures but that will be too much at once LOL

These are awesome!!! And the best part is these are "every day" kinds of pictures which show the best kinds of adventures :D

Very excited, I hope everyone continues to post updates and photos, because this is so much fun!!

:<3::tort::<3:

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I looked it up, too!

Desert-tortoise-males-fighting.jpg

That is a serious looking weapon! In this picture, my money is on the guy on the left!

@Yvonne G , is that something that is often removed in those kind of captive tortoises, or was it an injury type thing? Just curious! I wouldn't have ever known what that horn part was for. Yay learning :D

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
My to-do list for Millie today:

Bake more moss!
Figure out what to do about those weird little gnat things that popped up yesterday, bleh.
Install the new light that came today (very excited about that)
Sink a tray of testudo mix for her majesty's grazing pleasure.

And somehow figure in a bath and an application of creme to her tummy.

...and learn how to spell the correct word for a tortoise tummy...

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
This is the perfect thread for me! Thanks for starting it! LOVE seeing all of your sweet babies! So precious! :)
Here is our RF, named Spike, eating her favorite! I am a sucker for the eating shots. :)

Hi Michelle!!! THANK YOU for joining this thread, so glad you're here! :)

Those pictures are AWESOME!! I love the eating pictures too hahahaha. What a doll! I love the last picture, too. There is an expression that red foots have that is just priceless.

How old is Spike? It was hard to tell for sure in the pictures, but she looks little! How long have you had her? Tell us more!! And then more pics plz :)

You also got my RL partner to just agree to a red foot because Spike is so cute, so THANK YOU LOL

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
My Millie Update -

Unfortunately I have no adorable picture to post, because I withheld dandelion from breakfast, and her Majesty is sulking in her flower pot.

I didn't get the new light off my checklist yesterday, so it's first up today! The fixture is under cabinet and it wants to be hung upside down..but it's a strip light. Much pondering on how to make this work to be done!

I've also been daydreaming about enclosures, and I I think I am going to take a hard look at a couple of @Tom 's designs, and see if I can mesh something together that will work. My only stumbling block is I don't have a way to cut the wood, but fingers crossed Home Depot will do it.

Specifically interested in these threads:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heating-an-outdoor-russian-night-box.116180/ - @AnimalLady I don't know if you've seen this one, but I thought you might be interested if you haven't :<3:

Michelle D

Hi Michelle!!! THANK YOU for joining this thread, so glad you're here! :)

Those pictures are AWESOME!! I love the eating pictures too hahahaha. What a doll! I love the last picture, too. There is an expression that red foots have that is just priceless.

How old is Spike? It was hard to tell for sure in the pictures, but she looks little! How long have you had her? Tell us more!! And then more pics plz :)

You also got my RL partner to just agree to a red foot because Spike is so cute, so THANK YOU LOL

Thanks for starting the thread! You did a wonderful job with instructions with pics! (good for people like me) :)
We got Spike 2 1/2 weeks ago for my daughter's 5th b-day. She's been obsessed for awhile now with turtle/torts. So now we are realizing just how much we didn't know about them! We are in the learning stage right now, trying to soak up any info and knowledge we can for Spike! I don't know how old she is, but she is 5 1/4 in. long right now. She is wonderful and we are smitten! Never knew torts had such personalities! And SOOO picky (they know what they want) Lol! :)
So glad we have it in writing for you to get a RF too! Lol! And yes they definitely have funny expressions!
And you know I've got more pics !! :)...always

image.jpg
image.jpg