New owner of yellow foot tortoise

Lindseyc123

Location (City and/or State)
Ventura, CA
Hi, so long story short we were gifted a 2 yr old yellow foot- from a shelter. we are new to having a tortoise. We live in So California near the coast, so the summers are warm and sunny, but at night the temp can get chilly. Can a yellow be kept outside at night? Or do they need to be indoors to sleep?
what do you do if you are gone for the day, and don’t return until the evening and are unable to move your tortoise inside until late at night?
We are just trying to figure out all the logistics- we need tips for how to do daily life with tortoise ownership. Any practical tip appreciated as this is all new to us.
thank you!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Here is the caresheet. and ive added our resident redfoot( similiar if not exact same care as a yellow foot) experts...

@ZEROPILOT @Toddrickfl1

Relic

Here
I had a similar sized YF for the past couple of years and always used 60 F as my "bring 'em inside" rule. However, as the tort grew, he/she became too large for my indoor set-up and I gave the tort back to my original source. Constructing an outside heated shelter is an option...

S2G

AL
What is the humidity like where you're at? I have a friend in FL that keeps full grown ones outside with a heated house they retreat to at night. They bring them in if the night boxes hit 60F.

Relic

Here
Texas - moderate humidity. I usually wet-down the outdoor enclosure once or twice each day. It was heavily shaded and had tons of ground vegetation. Easy to create very wet/muddy areas for the tortoise to choose if wanting to cool off from the summer heat. Hardest thing was finding the tort when he needed to be retrieved - and it was only a 150 square foot area.

Lindseyc123

Ventura, CA
Texas - moderate humidity. I usually wet-down the outdoor enclosure once or twice each day. It was heavily shaded and had tons of ground vegetation. Easy to create very wet/muddy areas for the tortoise to choose if wanting to cool off from the summer heat. Hardest thing was finding the tort when he needed to be retrieved - and it was only a 150 square foot area.
Is it ok to let them roam the back yard with out an enclosure? We have a medium (for America) size backyard, it is fenced well, and mostly grass with a few dirt areas.

Lindseyc123

Ventura, CA
What is the humidity like where you're at? I have a friend in FL that keeps full grown ones outside with a heated house they retreat to at night. They bring them in if the night boxes hit 60F.
California tends to have low humidity, mostly dry heat.

Lindseyc123

Ventura, CA
I had a similar sized YF for the past couple of years and always used 60 F as my "bring 'em inside" rule. However, as the tort grew, he/she became too large for my indoor set-up and I gave the tort back to my original source. Constructing an outside heated shelter is an option...

Relic

Here
Is it ok to let them roam the back yard with out an enclosure? We have a medium (for America) size backyard, it is fenced well, and mostly grass with a few dirt areas.
I would be hesitant to give them the whole yard, but much depends on your specific yard. Could a gate be left open? Are there dogs? Do you mow? Could the tort be inadvertently stepped on? I prefer an enclosed area that is walled-off from normal foot-traffic and other activities. I can plant it specifically with a horde of plants that will make it more like the natural environment. They do get fairly large and will require a pretty big winter enclosure if you bring him inside. Lots to learn...but you're at the right place to do that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
May we see pictures of your new tortoise? Sometimes people mistake redfoots for yellowfoots because the redfoots have yellow spots on their legs.

My YFs live outside 24/7, but I lock everyone up inside their heated sheds at night

Relic

Here
It also appears to be older than 2 years - not that it matters.

Lindseyc123

Ventura, CA
Wow really?! I was thinking he looks huge for only being 2... the shelter told us 2, so I was a bit nervous that he’s already this big at 2, so if he is older that’s probably a good thing

Jan A

Boulder, CO
You do have to be concerned if you have racoons, skunks, birds, & other varmits that come into your yard or can swoop down to grab your tort. Do you have trees & bushes....places where your tort can hide or get shade?