New owner of two hermanns torts

Lisa london

Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased two torts (about 4 weeks ago) I find them sooo adorably fascinating but feel they are a constant worry. As I'm not sure I am doing right by them. I have been weighing them since having them for my own piece of mind to ensure they are growing and gaining weight - this has been fluctuating and they don't seem to have gained any weight - is this ok???

I think my enclosure is ok for them (you will see a pic in my album) the heat at the top end is usually aroun 32 degrees and the cooler end 22. The lamp is on a timer which goes on around 730 and off again aground 1930.

I've been feeding them on dandilion leaves and kale mainly with some mixed rocket. Occasionally give cress, carrots and as a treat a taste of strawberries.

I also regularly give them warm baths which is when they usually pee and poop.

Any advice will be greatly received. The do seem happy and healthy I worry they aren't eating enough.

Thanks in advance Lisa

Lisa london

Also my tort had a warm bath this morning and poop in the water is this ok??? I'm usually used to the pooping outside of the water which are usually more formed.

Attachments

• IMG_4628.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 34

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Vernon Hills, IL
Welcome. Your little guy is adorable.

I hate to say it, but you will likely need to separate your torts at some point. My two Greeks lived together happily - until one started ramming, biting (causing bleeding), and generally making life horrible for the other. My profile pic was the closest they had been in years - and it lasted 30 seconds before the one started in on the other.
Be diligent and watch for issues, and be ready to put them in separate enclosures.

Lisa london

Welcome. Your little guy is adorable.

I hate to say it, but you will likely need to separate your torts at some point. My two Greeks lived together happily - until one started ramming, biting (causing bleeding), and generally making life horrible for the other. My profile pic was the closest they had been in years - and it lasted 30 seconds before the one started in on the other.
Be diligent and watch for issues, and be ready to put them in separate enclosures.

Thank you. At this moment in time they seem to be friendly enough with each other but thank you for your advice I will be keeping an eye on them and will separate if needed.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Also my tort had a warm bath this morning and poop in the water is this ok??? I'm usually used to the pooping outside of the water which are usually more formed.
They often poop in their bath. That is perfectly normal! :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased two torts (about 4 weeks ago) I find them sooo adorably fascinating but feel they are a constant worry. As I'm not sure I am doing right by them. I have been weighing them since having them for my own piece of mind to ensure they are growing and gaining weight - this has been fluctuating and they don't seem to have gained any weight - is this ok???

I think my enclosure is ok for them (you will see a pic in my album) the heat at the top end is usually aroun 32 degrees and the cooler end 22. The lamp is on a timer which goes on around 730 and off again aground 1930.

I've been feeding them on dandilion leaves and kale mainly with some mixed rocket. Occasionally give cress, carrots and as a treat a taste of strawberries.

I also regularly give them warm baths which is when they usually pee and poop.

Any advice will be greatly received. The do seem happy and healthy I worry they aren't eating enough.

Thanks in advance Lisa

I would suggest keeping the lights on 14-15 hours a day instead of 12 by having them come on earlier in the day, more in conjunction with sunrise outdoors. 12 hours of daylight is more of a fall photoperiod. In order for them to remain fully active you want them to think that it's always summertime in their enclosure. A tortoises activity level and rountine are determined primarily by light duration, intensity and temperatures.

When you say the temperature at the "top end" is 32c, does that mean at the warmer end of the enclosure or that is what the temperature reaches within the entire enclosure at some point?