New owner of star tortoise ,calling for help from IND members

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
hi friends,my name is Hari and me from Goa ,India and got a star Indian tortoise , it so happened that 2 days ago it just walked in of my front gate of my house ,I live in an much green (its monsoon here in IND) hill top ,in the surrounding area I have seen peacock, rabbit pythons, and snakes crabs ,but never a tortoise ,don't know whether it is from here or not and I even consider it lucky to make in to my gate alive as there is a road in front.
Now my question is - as its raining no much sun light ,so what is the substitute , the temperature in my locality varies between 25'-30' Celsius and cannot live it out as there are dogs and cats and birds.
I live it in my hall it moves comfortably ,gave it grass , hibiscus leaves to eat, but today it seems not likely to eat.
If made a Indore refuge for it how much area is needed (area) , what and how many times should be food given ,and how frequently does it drink water ,as if now me not seen it drinking much but it urinate and defecate properly .read in some post about lighting provision so what light bulbs should be used if necessary and for how many hours of the day.
Most important how to make out its age, sex. how to measure it ,is it by shell size or head to tail size.
what vitamin's it need if reared Indore and in which form it is easily available locally and what quantity should be given . & if ever need a vet are there any specialized vet for tortoise .

Attachments

• 20130909_150149.jpg
    20130909_150149.jpg
    831.4 KB · Views: 85

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Hari!

Your new little star tortoise will benefit from having a nice habitat indoors, made out of maybe a big plastic tub, or an old book case laying on its back with the shelves removed. The tortoise needs a light that it can sit under to warm up. That's probably why its not eating.

shanu303

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
really nice star but he/she looks dehydrated so make sure you soak him twice a day..... in lukewarm water.... and since you said its raining so plenty of humidity.... you can keep him warm using incandescent bulb and if you intend on getting UV bulb make sure it is a tube light type and not a compact bulb.....and you are a lucky person to have a tortoise come to your doorstep and that to an Indian Star tortoise.... :)

[email protected]

5 Year Member
shanu303 said:
really nice star but he/she looks dehydrated so make sure you soak him twice a day..... in lukewarm water.... and since you said its raining so plenty of humidity.... you can keep him warm using incandescent bulb and if you intend on getting UV bulb make sure it is a tube light type and not a compact bulb.....and you are a lucky person to have a tortoise come to your doorstep and that to an Indian Star tortoise.... :)

thanks every one for your valuable inputs , but how to calculate its age ???:tort:

Attachments

• 20130908_181402.jpg
    20130908_181402.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.