New owner of a tortoise and asking for help IDing it.

EmmaP

Location (City and/or State)
Presteigne, Powys Wales
Hi I am a new owner of a little tortoise. I came by it accidentally as it was found in the garden next door. The house had been empty for 3 months. I took it in and put in a plastic box with water and lettuce (all I had). I gave it a tepid bath about 2 hours later and it was fine. I put in some screwed up newspaper for the night.
I wonder if any one can confirm it’s breed and gender.
It weights 375g, is approx 12cm/4.75in long (shell).
I have uploaded some photos too.
I know I have to get a tortoise table and heat lamp etc, so will get these today.
Thanks for any help you can offer me.

ECD58BA8-C6F5-4E4D-8A73-BCDB13BA9F63.jpeg49717ED3-03AA-47B0-A3C9-29DEDF67D384.jpegA92D71AE-623E-4939-A973-B2E11126950A.jpeg7D8FE083-14EB-45C4-A466-633E91EFF1EB.jpeg90C509D3-51FA-4F03-B77D-144CB672EB0C.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
This is a very detailed thread on proper long term care. The attached picture guide is for quick help with feeding and housing. Please check around the neighborhood first to be sure it is not someone's escaped tort and they are looking for it. If it was the neighbors that move out a few months ago just do some checking and it may have been dumped by them on purpose which means you now have a tort to care for. Good Luck and welcome
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

EmmaP

Presteigne, Powys Wales
This is a very detailed thread on proper long term care. The attached picture guide is for quick help with feeding and housing. Please check around the neighborhood first to be sure it is not someone's escaped tort and they are looking for it. If it was the neighbors that move out a few months ago just do some checking and it may have been dumped by them on purpose which means you now have a tort to care for. Good Luck and welcome
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

thank you, I am sure the neighbors moved with their other pets and this one got left behind. I don’t have anyway of contacting them now, so I will give it a home. I’ll look at the link you posted and have a good read. Thanks again.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
It may have been lost in the garden and then hibernated so they couldn't find it, so perhaps ask the estate agent who sold the house if they could contact them to check if they want it, making sure to say you are happy to re home it.

The most common torts in the UK are Greeks, Hermanns or Russians, but the caresheet covers all those species needs. So have a good read and be prepared for the fact that you will have to provide a decent sized enclosure with uvb and heat lamps. I would keep it indoors until it warms up. It's not cheap starting out but once you have everything it will be worth it to see the tort thrive.

You'll also need some terracotta plant saucers for food and water and a decent thermometer/hygrometer. The dial types sold by pet shops aren't very reliable.

If he has recently come out of hibernating in the garden then he will appreciate some good long soaks in luke warm water. Just up to his chin.

For food - weeds will be is main diet when they grow but meanwhile Aldi sells a good mixed leaf salad in a light green bag (41p at the moment) Morrisons also do a nice crispy mixed leaf mix in a pale blue bag ( 2 for £1) and Lidl have a crispy salad in a pale green bag too.
Try to avoid iceberg and little gem lettuce; no fruit including tomatoes and cucumber has little nutritional value and can have a laxative effect.
www.thetortoisetable,org.uk is good guide to tort safe foods.

Ask as many questions as you need.

Last edited:

EmmaP

Presteigne, Powys Wales
Hi and welcome.
It may have been lost in the garden and then hibernated so they couldn't find it, so perhaps ask the estate agent who sold the house if they could contact them to check if they want it, making sure to say you are happy to re home it.

The most common torts in the UK are Greeks, Hermanns or Russians, but the caresheet covers all those species needs. So have a good read and be prepared for the fact that you will have to provide a decent sized enclosure with uvb and heat lamps. I would keep it indoors until it warms up. It's not cheap starting out but once you have everything it will be worth it to see the tort thrive.

You'll also need some terracotta plant saucers for food and water and a decent thermometer/hygrometer. The dial types sold by pet shops aren't very reliable.

If he has recently come out of hibernating in the garden then he will appreciate some good long soaks in luke warm water. Just up to his chin.

For food - weeds will be is main diet when they grow but meanwhile Aldi sells a good mixed leaf salad in a light green bag (41p at the moment) Morrisons also do a nice crispy mixed leaf mix in a pale blue bag ( 2 for £1) and Lidl have a crispy salad in a pale green bag too.
Try to avoid iceberg and little gem lettuce; no fruit including tomatoes and cucumber has little nutritional value and can have a laxative effect.
www.thetortoisetable,org.uk is good guide to tort safe foods.

Ask as many questions as you need.

thank you for this information, extremely helpful. I’ll get some cabbage for it today. There is so much to learn!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
thank you for this information, extremely helpful. I’ll get some cabbage for it today. There is so much to learn!
For such a small critter the care requirements are initially very daunting, but once you get the setup dialed in with heat/light/humidity/space then the day to day is almost like having a vegetarian dog. A very small, grumpy, demanding and messy one!

EmmaP

Presteigne, Powys Wales
For such a small critter the care requirements are initially very daunting, but once you get the setup dialed in with heat/light/humidity/space then the day to day is almost like having a vegetarian dog. A very small, grumpy, demanding and messy one!
I’m learning fast! I just want to make sure he is well fed, kept healthy and happy! Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

EmmaP

Presteigne, Powys Wales

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I knew nothing about torts when I ended up with mine but that thanks to all the help here my tort is doing well.
Lola won't touch cabbage and it isn't a good regular food so you may be better off with a crispy salad mix to start. (not the bistro or Italian type which have beetroot and some leaves that aren't great).
Torts need variety. I use an Aldi mixed leaf salad bag as a base, then add in some pak choi leaves or dark romaine leaves. Lamb lettuce is a good food to add in. Kale and spring greens are OK but not something my tort goes for unless it they mixed with other leaves. Grated carrot mixed in occasionally is fine as are carrot leaves.

Think of his shell as a bowl and feed that much to start with but if he eats it all feed more.
Torts are grazers so need food available so that they can come and go as they please. You can't over feed a tort he'll stop when he's had enough.

He'll also only eat and be active if he is warm enough which is where the lamps are needed.
Don't buy the curly or cfl type bulbs as these have been found to damage tort eyes.
MVB lamps are convenient but they dry and damage the shell and cause pyramiding.
For UVB (which is needed to help the tort absorb calcium and other nutrients), a T5 HO fitting and tube is mostly recommended and a flood bulb for basking will be needed.
Depending on your overnight house temps you may need a CHE and a thermostat, It just gives heat because torts need darkness to sleep.

If you look at the Enclosures thread you'll get some good ideas.