New owner of 7 month horsefield tortoise

Tillytorts

Location (City and/or State)
Wales
I got my tortoise 4 days ago. I haven’t seen her eat or drink yet. As far as I know she hasn’t had a pee or poo. She also seems to be struggling to open one eye and it looks watery sometimes. Included picture of her eye and her home.

Attachments

• 469DB439-61E5-4E8C-8052-D5178883B214.jpeg
    469DB439-61E5-4E8C-8052-D5178883B214.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • A1CFDA46-2EBB-47DC-8896-16BA5FD1D6FE.jpeg
    A1CFDA46-2EBB-47DC-8896-16BA5FD1D6FE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
S/he is beautiful but torts hate change so she could just be settling in to her new home.
I'm afraid it looks like you have been given some incorrect care information (as most of us were to start off). Pet shops often sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment because they are profit driven and rarely know about tortoise care, but if you make a few changes you can help her stay happy and healthy.
This is the most up to date caresheet you need. Please read that and ask as many questions as you like to check anything

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
As for her eye - was it like that when you brought her home? It could be the substrate because hay/straw is too dry and shouldn't be used. Do you know what sort of lamp she's been kept under?
Have you soaked her yet? Try a shallow luke (baby) warm soak with water up the where the shell meets the plastron (bottom shell) - the water should never cover her head. Gently rinse the eye with clean water. She may poop and pee in it - if she does replace the water and don't let it get cold.

Tillytorts

Wales
As for her eye - was it like that when you brought her home? It could be the substrate because hay/straw is too dry and shouldn't be used. Do you know what sort of lamp she's been kept under?
Have you soaked her yet? Try a shallow luke (baby) warm soak with water up the where the shell meets the plastron (bottom shell) - the water should never cover her head. Gently rinse the eye with clean water. She may poop and pee in it - if she does replace the water and don't let it get cold.
I noticed she kept her eyes closed most the time on day one. Day two noticed one eye seems different. I have been rinsing her eye and soaking her everyday. I’ve ordered some different bedding that’s not as dry and dusty so hopefully that will help. I’ve attached a picture of the lamp

Attachments

• B856264E-2141-4E14-AF89-CBBCA41BDCBF.png
    B856264E-2141-4E14-AF89-CBBCA41BDCBF.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 7

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Russians like to dig in moist (not wet) substrate so something like coco coir with a layer of fine orchid bark (or any of those recommended in the caresheet) will hold moisture better but it is difficult to control temperature and humidity in an open table. Line the table with something to stop it rotting and you could put a mini portable greenhouse over the top of the whole thing.
The all in one lamps aren't generally recommended now because they can dry and damage the tort shells; coiled and cfl type bulbs born tort eyes so also best avoided.
Many of use T5 HO tubes for uvb,(kits are available online) with a flood basking bulb ( spots are too intense) I use Arcadia for both but there are other brands.
You also have to be careful with clamps as they have been known to fail and cause fires so best to hang any lamps so that you can also raise and lower them to adjust temps. Torts don't really feel the full benefit of angled lamps.
Are you using any night heat? A CHE run through a thermostat is great for night heat and extra heat when needed. ( I bought both of those in the Range for about £50) Use the caresheet to see how your temps compare - it's pretty cold here in Wales at the moment. A good digital thermometer/hygrometer will be better to read temps at tort level and a digital temp gun is ideal for spot checking your 4 temps.

It's all a bit overwhelming to start with but once you have the right equipment only the uvb tube should need replacing occasionally and you tort should thrive.

Tillytorts

Wales
Russians like to dig in moist (not wet) substrate so something like coco coir with a layer of fine orchid bark (or any of those recommended in the caresheet) will hold moisture better but it is difficult to control temperature and humidity in an open table. Line the table with something to stop it rotting and you could put a mini portable greenhouse over the top of the whole thing.
The all in one lamps aren't generally recommended now because they can dry and damage the tort shells; coiled and cfl type bulbs born tort eyes so also best avoided.
Many of use T5 HO tubes for uvb,(kits are available online) with a flood basking bulb ( spots are too intense) I use Arcadia for both but there are other brands.
You also have to be careful with clamps as they have been known to fail and cause fires so best to hang any lamps so that you can also raise and lower them to adjust temps. Torts don't really feel the full benefit of angled lamps.
Are you using any night heat? A CHE run through a thermostat is great for night heat and extra heat when needed. ( I bought both of those in the Range for about £50) Use the caresheet to see how your temps compare - it's pretty cold here in Wales at the moment. A good digital thermometer/hygrometer will be better to read temps at tort level and a digital temp gun is ideal for spot checking your 4 temps.

It's all a bit overwhelming to start with but once you have the right equipment only the uvb tube should need replacing occasionally and you tort should thrive.
Thank you so much. What is a che? It’s all so confusing ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you so much. What is a che? It’s all so confusing ?
It's ceramic heat emitter - they can be cream or black too. The fitting is the same as for a bulb and needs to be ceramic (which most are these days I think)
1638118576909.png
I use a thermostat similar to this with it which keeps temps even and stops the tort from getting too hot. 1638118686389.png