New owner need help!

Carnivoracity

Tube flourescent are preferred.
20160215_122640.jpg
20160215_133610.jpg

I made a makeshift lid for the time being out of thick cardboard and it seems to be holding humidity decently now at 65-70%. I know it's not as good as a real lid but I think it's way better than before so thank you for recommending the lid. I just have one more question if you wouldn't mind, should my lights be deeper into the tank? And if so how would I lower them? Also any tips or advice based of the pics would mean alot thank you.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
View attachment 165271
View attachment 165272

I made a makeshift lid for the time being out of thick cardboard and it seems to be holding humidity decently now at 65-70%. I know it's not as good as a real lid but I think it's way better than before so thank you for recommending the lid. I just have one more question if you wouldn't mind, should my lights be deeper into the tank? And if so how would I lower them? Also any tips or advice based of the pics would mean alot thank you.
That could work for now. Did you read my one comment earlier in the thread with another idea?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to you as well as your cute tort. :tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistake" Thread as well as care sheets that are available. And whenever in doubt, do NOT hesitate to ask questions. Humidity is necessary so as to avoid:

A) Pyramiding
B) Dehydration

So keep that in mind. I for one have been extremely cautious as I live in Jordan, where the climate is that of a DESERT and unbelievably DRY.:( Therefore, I have to:

A) soak OLI :<3: (my beloved Greek tort ) daily in quite warm water
B) spray his enclosure with water each and every night

Carnivoracity

A warm welcome to you as well as your cute tort. :tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistake" Thread as well as care sheets that are available. And whenever in doubt, do NOT hesitate to ask questions. Humidity is necessary so as to avoid:

A) Pyramiding
B) Dehydration

So keep that in mind. I for one have been extremely cautious as I live in Jordan, where the climate is that of a DESERT and unbelievably DRY.:( Therefore, I have to:

A) soak OLI :<3: (my beloved Greek tort ) daily in quite warm water
B) spray his enclosure with water each and every night
Thanks so much I'm really trying very hard to provide an ideal environment for this little guy. The only problem I'm having currently is keeping the humidiiy up :( even with this lid I made it doesn't stay up for long. At this rate I'll have to mist the enclosure 20 times a day :(

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks so much I'm really trying very hard to provide an ideal environment for this little guy. The only problem I'm having currently is keeping the humidiiy up :( even with this lid I made it doesn't stay up for long. At this rate I'll have to mist the enclosure 20 times a day :(
It's because cardboard is not airtight so it's still able to escape.
Try putting his water dish near the heat lamp to create humidity. I always keep my water dish in the warm area.

Carnivoracity

It's because cardboard is not airtight so it's still able to escape.
Try putting his water dish near the heat lamp to create humidity. I always keep my water dish in the warm area.

Thanks, I think I might have my warm and cool areas confused. On one side I have his basking light and his hide on forest floor/eco earth substrate. On the the other side I have his Uvb lamp and a decent sized paint tray as a waterer on eco earth/sphagnum moss substrate. Do I have this backwards? I'm sorry for all the questions I just really want to get this right and talking to knowledgeable people like the well-known members here seem to be my best option to really do things the right way and I really appreciate any and all help. Also I have a kind of big flat rock under the basking lamp and I don't even know if I need it considering it takes up some space I could use for something else like the waterer move you suggested.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
In my boxie enclosures I try to keep the water dish near the heat. I keep the hide in the cooler area. I keep flat rocks around the water dish to help with toenails.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I use plexiglass, works well. Holds in humidity . You can cut it to the size you need. But, my lights are inside the enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to 'tent' with plastic sheeting. You have to make a framework over the lights to support the tent. It's a whole lot easier lifting up the edge of the plastic to get into the tank. Also you need to pour a whole pitcherful of water over the substrate and mix it up with your hand until it's all wet. Misting only adds water to the top layer and it quickly evaporates.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I like to 'tent' with plastic sheeting. You have to make a framework over the lights to support the tent. It's a whole lot easier lifting up the edge of the plastic to get into the tank. Also you need to pour a whole pitcherful of water over the substrate and mix it up with your hand until it's all wet. Misting only adds water to the top layer and it quickly evaporates.
Tenting with plastic sheeting is exactly what I do. It works well. I don't even build framework. I just have the clamp stand straight up in the air to keep the plastic away from the hot fixture.

Carnivoracity

Thank you so much I'll definitely start moistening that way instead of misting.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Here is a photo of my tenting, not sure how good you can make it out though.20160216_180505.jpg