New owner need help with correct food

richone09

Location (City and/or State)
So Cali
I have recently been given 2 female sulcata tortoises they are about 3 years old. I'm looking to see what is a good food or diet they need, currently they have been given spring mix from past owner. Both female tortoises have some pyramiding on them. I've heard alot of different thing but would like to see about a better answer from more experienced owners.
I have planted some hibiscus, cactus, and currently working on lawn for weeds and grass. I do keep them inside still they are about 6 and 7 inches long also will be building a outside enclosure for them to get out and roam around.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Here is the caresheet you need with the most up to date information on diet, temps,, substrate humidity etc
Read that then ask as many questions as you like

Please be aware that torts should never be kept in pairs - even male and female. They are territorial and it will be very stressful for them in a small enclosure where they can't avoid each other. They don't like or need a friend. From a young age one will become dominant and will bully the other. It starts with staring, hogging the food, following, nudging (mistakenly thought of as being affectionate). It eventually becomes more aggressive with barging, trying to tip over, and biting which can cause serious injury and even death. So to avoid expensive vet bills and suffering for your torts and to help them thrive it would be better to set them up in their own enclosures with their own sets of lamps etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

Don't be surprised to learn that your two "females" are actually males. All tortoises have female characteristics until they get up to breeding size, then everything changes. At 6" and 7" yours are just about ready to start showing their true gender.

richone09

So Cali
Thank you Lyn W, very helpful info went to start and was able to buy some greens that was mentioned. Will also follow other advise on caring for them.

richone09

So Cali
Great info to know Yvonne, I will have to watch them move closely and see if anything changes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great info to know Yvonne, I will have to watch them move closely and see if anything changes.
Its not a problem you are going to have in the future. Its a problem right now. Torts should never live in pairs. They need to be separated now.

Its best if you don't go buy food. Better to grow it or find it. Mulberry leaves, grape vine leaves, hibiscus and lavatera. Lots of weeds and flowers. Lots of grass....

If you must use grocery store greens, add stuff to it to make it better. Soaked ZooMed pellets, Mazuri, soaked horse hay pellets, herbal hay from tortoisesupply.com, and many of the dried leaf options from Kapidolofarms.com.

They are just about large enough to live outside full time with a heated night box. Here is a double door box that would allow you to separate them, but only build and heat one night box.

richone09

So Cali
Wow tom that's an awesome enclosure will have to build that. ZooMed pellets they won't eat they eat around it. Looking into trying Mazuri right now I have greens, red lettuce, kale, arugula, cilantro, collard and bok choy they love it eat it up right away I will change it up daily so not getting something daily or is it ok to give it daily? I did like the website kapidolofarms so all that is good flowers and other leaf options?