New Owner, lots of questions!

debbie5240

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello! My name is Debbie, I am from Northern Virginia.

Recently, I decided to adopt a Russian tortoise from a local PetSmart. I have owned many, small aquatic turtles before but never a tortoise. I'll admit it was a pricier purchase than anticipated and I've already found a few things I need to correct.

PetSmart told me that a 10-gallon tank was sufficient for now but that I would have to upgrade eventually. My Russian Tortoise is about 4-5 inches currently and I thought a 10 gallon was a good fit too but I already see that it is actually too small. Should I upgrade to about a 40-gallon tank? They are pretty pricey in my opinion so if I should upgrade a tank size, I'll do the best I can to do so ASAP.

Secondly, I have a few questions about the lighting and the water in the tank.

I have a 13 Watt coiled (self-ballasted) bulb that I was told to use during the day as the UVB light. It produces this bright white light which makes me anxious that my tortoise may not be a fan...he hid in the corner of the tank under some fake plants for about 2 hours. Should I use some type of other light instead of this one? And am I supposed to use a basking light during the day as well? I keep reading about having two different temperature sides in the tank, although I'll find that hard to manage with a 10-gallon tank.

For the night time, I've been told to use a 50W infrared basking light. Is that alright or should I switch to something different? As soon as I put it on, my tortoise switched from hiding in the corner of the tank under the fake plants to hiding under the half log. A side question: Can my tortoise back out from underneath the log? Right now, I have it placed in the corner to provide as much space as I can for him to roam around. I feel like I should move it.

Lastly, I have a very shallow water dish for him to drink out of. I've read that I should pick him up and place him in the dish every morning for about 10 minutes to help with hydration. Just making sure that is correct? I've also been told, which I totally 100% agree with and didn't think otherwise, that I cannot use tap water. The conditioner I was told to buy is the API Stress Coat+ which is supposed to make the water safe. The instructions say that for every 10 gallons of water, I should use 5mL. Obviously, with that water dish, I am nowhere near the 10 gallons...but too be safe, I put 1 mL of water in it. Is that too much or too little? The scariest part for me is making sure that my tortoise has the safest water for it to drink.

Thank you so much for helping- I know I am asking a lot of questions! Right now, I am trying to create as much of an unstressful environment as I can for him. I understand that for a few weeks he may choose to hide rather than be out. As a bit of an anxious person, I get nervous when they choose to hide under things (although it is so normal) because, since tortoises are such hard creatures to read, I'll have to have a super special eye out for anything absurd...which is also tricky to differentiate!! For now, I'll try to ease myself and understand that hiding is a mode for him to get used to the environment. But when should I begin to get concerned when he hasn't eaten the food or drunken the water?

I'm trying to be the best owner I can for this tortoise so all the help is appreciated! Sorry in advance for all the questions!

Debora

debbie5240

Virginia
Sorry, one more question!

What temperature should I keep my tank, either side, for both day and night?

Just trying to make sure I have everything that best suites my tortoise, thanks!

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Seems like you got almost all wrong information for your Russian. Please go to our Russian section and look at the care sheet posted at the top.

You will need a much, much larger enclosure. Minimum 8x4 feet, but the larger the better.

Is the UVB light a coiled/twisty lamp? If so, please return it and use either a Mercury Vapor Bulb light (which provides UVB and heat) or preferably a long stip UVB bulb and a basking light. No night heat is needed unless your house gets below about 60 degrees.

If you can drink tap water, then its perfectly fine for your tort. Seems like the pet store was just trying to sell you even more.

The basking temps should be around 95-100 degrees F, and fall off to room temp on the other side.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Recently, I decided to adopt a Russian tortoise from a local PetSmart. I have owned many, small aquatic turtles before but never a tortoise. I'll admit it was a pricier purchase than anticipated and I've already found a few things I need to correct.

PetSmart told me that a 10-gallon tank was sufficient for now but that I would have to upgrade eventually. My Russian Tortoise is about 4-5 inches currently and I thought a 10 gallon was a good fit too but I already see that it is actually too small. Should I upgrade to about a 40-gallon tank? They are pretty pricey in my opinion so if I should upgrade a tank size, I'll do the best I can to do so ASAP.

I have a 13 Watt coiled (self-ballasted) bulb that I was told to use during the day as the UVB light. It produces this bright white light which makes me anxious that my tortoise may not be a fan...he hid in the corner of the tank under some fake plants for about 2 hours. Should I use some type of other light instead of this one? And am I supposed to use a basking light during the day as well? I keep reading about having two different temperature sides in the tank, although I'll find that hard to manage with a 10-gallon tank.

For the night time, I've been told to use a 50W infrared basking light. Is that alright or should I switch to something different? As soon as I put it on, my tortoise switched from hiding in the corner of the tank under the fake plants to hiding under the half log. A side question: Can my tortoise back out from underneath the log? Right now, I have it placed in the corner to provide as much space as I can for him to roam around. I feel like I should move it.

Lastly, I have a very shallow water dish for him to drink out of. I've read that I should pick him up and place him in the dish every morning for about 10 minutes to help with hydration. Just making sure that is correct? I've also been told, which I totally 100% agree with and didn't think otherwise, that I cannot use tap water. The conditioner I was told to buy is the API Stress Coat+ which is supposed to make the water safe. The instructions say that for every 10 gallons of water, I should use 5mL. Obviously, with that water dish, I am nowhere near the 10 gallons...but too be safe, I put 1 mL of water in it. Is that too much or too little? The scariest part for me is making sure that my tortoise has the safest water for it to drink.

Thank you so much for helping- I know I am asking a lot of questions! Right now, I am trying to create as much of an unstressful environment as I can for him. I understand that for a few weeks he may choose to hide rather than be out. As a bit of an anxious person, I get nervous when they choose to hide under things (although it is so normal) because, since tortoises are such hard creatures to read, I'll have to have a super special eye out for anything absurd...which is also tricky to differentiate!! For now, I'll try to ease myself and understand that hiding is a mode for him to get used to the environment. But when should I begin to get concerned when he hasn't eaten the food or drunken the water?

I'm trying to be the best owner I can for this tortoise so all the help is appreciated! Sorry in advance for all the questions!

Debora
Hey Debra you have come to the right place. I have a sulcata so care is different. What I have found helpful here is search other post by using keywords in your search to your questions. You will find a lot of help and you will start to learn the members here with the most knowledge. I admire the members here that continue to answer questions. Good luck with your tort adventure.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Please give this a read-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
What was said before was true- your tortoise needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. I’ll warn you, you’re going to have to spend a lot more money. I would return everything the petstore gave you. And I mean everything.
Turn off the colored bulb, and get a normal daylight bulb. Your tortoise doesn’t need night heat as long as temps are 60 and above. Colored lights keep them up at night, cause them to eat their substrate, and mess with their head because it makes their world red.
If the pet store told that your tortoise was young, they were lying. It’s actually a 4-15 year old adult, and likely full grown or almost full grown.
It’s great that you found us!

daniellenc

Maryland
An 8x4 enclosure is a $1,000 investment. In the meantime you can buy a Christmas tree tote and use that to provide more room. There are lots of pictures of them on here for ideas of how they’re set up and they’re cheap!! Great advice has already been given but check out Craig’s list for cheap aquariums as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

PetSmart told me that a 10-gallon tank was sufficient for now but that I would have to upgrade eventually. My Russian Tortoise is about 4-5 inches currently and I thought a 10 gallon was a good fit too but I already see that it is actually too small. Should I upgrade to about a 40-gallon tank? They are pretty pricey in my opinion so if I should upgrade a tank size, I'll do the best I can to do so ASAP. /

Hi Debbie: Man, oh Man!!! You can't believe a single thing the pet store told you. In the first place - 10 GALLONS??????? - Oh my lord in heaven! A 10 gallon tank isn't even suitable for a hatchling tortoise, and your tortoise is almost full grown. Because they are a small species, Russian tortoises are at least 8 to 10 year of age when the reach the required size for pet stores to be able to sell them. A full grown Russian tortoise, and a wild caught one at that, will need to be set up outside. He's not used to living in a container, and will be very stressed, and totally trying to escape, probably not eating, and climbing the walls and digging in the corners day and night. This is no way for anyone to live. It would be like taking someone who is used to living in the wide open spaces of the country and locking them in a linen closet for the rest of their life. Even a 40 gallon tank isn't big enough. Please try to figure out a way to set this tortoise up outside.

The compact fluorescent bulb is not the most efficient way to provide UVB, and they sometimes burn tortoise's eyes. I wouldn't use that at all. If you set him up outside, you won't need any bulbs, day, heat or night. But if you insist upon an indoor enclosure, go with a tube type fluorescent bulb and a spot heat lamp.

A plant saucer big enough for the tortoise to fit into and sunk down into the substrate is fine for water. . . and tap water is fine also. I don't add anything to my tortoises' water.

Debora

I'm sorry to say, unless you can set him up outside, he's not going to settle down for quite a while. In the wild Russian tortoises have to wander over great distances in order to find enough food to eat. So, even though you are now providing the food and he doesn't have to look for it, he is hard-wired to wander great distances. It's going to be very stressful on him to be contained in an aquarium of any size. If you really have to have him indoors, find an old, used book case, remove the shelves and lay it on its back. Line it with a shower curtain and go from there. Not as good as outside, but much better than any size aquarium.

Antoni

Just trying to make sure I have everything that best suites my tortoise, thanks!
Hey debbie, they basically covered the basic the tips, take time to read those links. Never had a russian but u found a good place to ask. If you still have more questions after reading them ask away we’ll try to help :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
An 8x4 enclosure is a $1,000 investment.

I'm not following your math here. 2 sheets of plywood, ten 2x4s, some primer and paint, a 4x4 for legs under it, a box of screws…

I get about $125. Plus substrate, food and water bowls, a flat rock for basking, and a hide or two.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Lots of good advice here Debbie. I agree with why has already been said. Please feel free to ask questions. We all want to help you have a positive tortoise experience and we want your tortoise to have a long healthy life.

daniellenc

Maryland
I'm not following your math here. 2 sheets of plywood, ten 2x4s, some primer and paint, a 4x4 for legs under it, a box of screws…

I get about $125. Plus substrate, food and water bowls, a flat rock for basking, and a hide or two.

Oh yes if you’re handy and have the proper tools you’re correct. For those of us who are woodworking challenged buying a custom cage with lighting and heat is easily $1,000.

debbie5240

Virginia
Thank you all for the help! I read what you've all said and also searched the website for any additional questions I have. I live in an apartment so creating an outdoor enclosure, although so ideal, is not an option for now.

Here is what I have and then the adjustments I am going to make:

- I have a 10-gallon tank which I've read that people use large 1 or 2 connected plastic tubs instead of a glass tank. I feel like that is a better alternative for now rather than leaving him in a 10-gallon tank until I can afford a way bigger glass tank. I've also read that either the translucent or transparent ones are fine to use. Anyone suggest either?

-I gave him conditioned tap water but since I don't drink the tap water here anyways, I think I will just give him bottled water, either purified natural water or natural spring water.

-I was told to use an infrared night lamp, although after reading some posts I immediately turned it off. A lot of people say to not use a night lamp whatsoever so I will return it. As far as daytime, I will need to go to a home depot to get the tube type fluorescent light, and then the pet store (should I bother going back??) to get the spot basking lamp. I truly do not like either item that the pet store gave me- the daytime one is way too bright and the night one is red- so if you guys have any options/brands you believe work well let me know! I'll also look around the site to see what others have said.

-Lastly, I've read to soak him in water for about 10-15 minutes a day. Is that adequate time?

Thank you again for all the help, if you have any additional advice, please let me know!!

debbie5240

Virginia
Here are some additional questions I am having:

-Any opinions on an ExoTerra Night Heat Lamp 50W? I have read to not use any light or heat at night so I won't but definitely curious if a bulb like this would cause too much heat at night.

-Apart from having a UVB and basking light in the tank, do I need to provide a CHE? I figured the two lamps would already provide the heat for the tank as well but that might be a bad assumption.

-Any suggestions of what wattage I should get for the UVB long tube lights and the basking light? For basking, I am thinking a 100W reflector bulb? I have no idea for wattage for the UVB light. Lastly, should these two lights be placed together on one side of the tank?

Thanks again!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you all for the help! I read what you've all said and also searched the website for any additional questions I have. I live in an apartment so creating an outdoor enclosure, although so ideal, is not an option for now.

- I have a 10-gallon tank which I've read that people use large 1 or 2 connected plastic tubs instead of a glass tank. I feel like that is a better alternative for now rather than leaving him in a 10-gallon tank until I can afford a way bigger glass tank. I've also read that either the translucent or transparent ones are fine to use. Anyone suggest either?

-I gave him conditioned tap water but since I don't drink the tap water here anyways, I think I will just give him bottled water, either purified natural water or natural spring water.

-I was told to use an infrared night lamp, although after reading some posts I immediately turned it off. A lot of people say to not use a night lamp whatsoever so I will return it. As far as daytime, I will need to go to a home depot to get the tube type fluorescent light, and then the pet store (should I bother going back??) to get the spot basking lamp. I truly do not like either item that the pet store gave me- the daytime one is way too bright and the night one is red- so if you guys have any options/brands you believe work well let me know! I'll also look around the site to see what others have said.

-Lastly, I've read to soak him in water for about 10-15 minutes a day. Is that adequate time?

Thank you again for all the help, if you have any additional advice, please let me know!!

There is no tank big enough for a tortoise, so don’t spend your money on them. After you move him to a tub, you need to start building an 8x4 foot(minimum) tortoise table, or outdoor enclosure.
I would definitely soak daily for a while, but you really only need to soak once a week for 15-30 minutes, or longer. However, it won’t hurt to soak daily, and it would even be beneficial.

Antoni

Here are some additional questions I am having:

-Any opinions on an ExoTerra Night Heat Lamp 50W? I have read to not use any light or heat at night so I won't but definitely curious if a bulb like this would cause too much heat at night.

-Apart from having a UVB and basking light in the tank, do I need to provide a CHE? I figured the two lamps would already provide the heat for the tank as well but that might be a bad assumption.

-Any suggestions of what wattage I should get for the UVB long tube lights and the basking light? For basking, I am thinking a 100W reflector bulb? I have no idea for wattage for the UVB light. Lastly, should these two lights be placed together on one side of the tank?

Thanks again!
I use CHE at night. Basking and uvb for day. As far as Wattage, just be sure to provide the temperature it said on the care sheet. That will depend on how big ur temp enclosure is and how big ur final one will be, but for uvb i believe 75w is sufficient. Provide pictures so we can all help more accurately.

Antoni

I used a cement mixing tub for awhile, idk if you can find one 4x8 or more in your area, i live in LA and my home depot had a 6x12 about 18” tall. That was good for my hatchling hope it could work for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

-Transparent tubs are fine and linking two together will work just fine.
-Bottled water is fine, but so is tap water as long as it is safe for you to drink.
- I agree that you don't need night heat for an adult russian if room temps stays above about 60, AND the tortoise has basking heat to warm up each day.
-I like to soak them for about 30-40 minutes. Since he is new and likely dehydrated, daily soaks are a good idea for 2-4 weeks. This will get him rehydrated, help him pass any built up urates, and get the GI tract moving. After that 2 or 3 times a week should be plenty.

About heating and lighting:
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You probably won't need this for an adult russian.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. In an open topped tub in a brightly lit room, you might not ned this one either.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height.

Last edited: