New outdoor Russian enclosure

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Almost finished with the outdoor enclosure! We just have to finish the covering. You can see my Russian tortoise Simaku in the first pic. My two year old daughter is watching him romp through the wild flowers that are growing. :) The pen was built in a way that if we need to we can section it off to separate tortoises in the future, but we just one right now.

The second pic shows where I will plant the Russian tortoise seed mix I just ordered. I also have some succulents to plant.

There is one water bowl-ish wading pool in the back of the pen and another that we will add to the other end when he is in there permanently.

After we finish the covering we will make his shelters (a summer cottage and winter cabin).

Any suggestions on shelter plans? I want to make one that is deep and partially buried so there is space to burrow and I want the roof to come off easily so I can check inside. If anyone has built something like this, would you be willing to share a pic?

Any other suggestions for the habitat?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398793514.188314.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398793547.713222.jpg

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Thanks!! That bunker looks awesome! Definitely going to consider that one!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I like it. It looks pretty cute with your daughter in there playing.

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne, she loves playing out there. I love it too! Haha.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
One stone, two birds.....NO, One torts and one little pretty girl. Both enjoyed I can see.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Here are a few of my simpler hides for my Russian tortoises (we don't get extremely hot in our area).
When it is warmer, I do find my tortoises just like to sleep outside under a bush or shrub.
One of my females thinks the roof is a great sunning area. (Plastic is only on over winter).
The last two pics are the same hide, shut and open. It is a buried Rubbermaid bin, with a wood frame and hinged/insulated roof.

IMG_0505.JPG IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0363.JPG

Alyssa

5 Year Member
Here are a few of my simpler hides for my Russian tortoises (we don't get extremely hot in our area).
When it is warmer, I do find my tortoises just like to sleep outside under a bush or shrub.
One of my females thinks the roof is a great sunning area. (Plastic is only on over winter).
The last two pics are the same hide, shut and open. It is a buried Rubbermaid bin, with a wood frame and hinged/insulated roof.

View attachment 78273 View attachment 78274 View attachment 78275 View attachment 78276

Thanks so much for posting these pics! I love these ideas! What did you use for insulation for the lids?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Just rigid insulation, 1/2" I think. You can trim it to size. I covered the insulation with a thin layer of paneling to protect it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Be sure to keep us posted as to what you do make. Looking good so far. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks so much for posting these pics! I love these ideas! What did you use for insulation for the lids?
Also, just a bit more information; the first hide with the tortoise sitting on top has an earth floor. It is cement blocks on the short sides and the right long side (the side with the door), with rebar to secure them. There is a piece of wood on the near short side to hinge the lid too, also secured with rebar. The left long side is built up sod and dirt with clumping grasses planted for stabilization.
By situating this one next to a tree, I figured the roots would help with drainage and stabilization as well.
:)