New Outdoor Run for Herman Tortoise

McKayla

Hello, I'm new here so sorry if I am doing this all wrong or posting in the wrong place:).

I am the proud owner of a 9 year old herman tortoise named Marvin :tort: and I am also soon to be the proud owner of my first home hehe.

First plan on moving in is to build Marvin an outdoor run where he can spend the warmer months.

I have drawn up a little plan for the garden in our new place but was wondering if anyone would be able to give it a look over and tell me whats missing etc.

The general idea is to have a walled 'flowerbed' style box across the back of the garden with a pond in one part (which obviously wouldn't be accessible to the tortoise, he's a terrible swimmer :p) and the the rest dedicated to the tortoise run. The outdoor part of the run would be about a 1.5sqm and the 'enclosed' parts about 0.5x0.75m.

Thanks in advance for your time :)

Pond and Tortoise Run.jpg

***The top picture shows roughly how it would look and the bottom shows it with the "lids/roof" closed***

Debbie2468

Location (City and/or State)
Rhondda south Wales
I like the design it's very well thought out. Started planning our outdoor enclosure ready for when the weather improves we live in South Wales GB soweather is not tthat good but hopingfor a better summer than last year. Will defo try the sleeping and glass house style tho :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Congratulations to you and your tort on your new homes!

McKayla

I like the design it's very well thought out. Started planning our outdoor enclosure ready for when the weather improves we live in South Wales GB soweather is not tthat good but hopingfor a better summer than last year. Will defo try the sleeping and glass house style tho :)

We are also in GB, Devon, we are with you on crossing our fingers for a sunny summer.

sammy33

Hi like the design, we're also at planning stage for our 5yr old rescue Horsefield Munro's outdoor enclosure. Hoping to use a recycled glass coldframe... our summers often have four seasons in one day