New outdoor pad, getting ready for spring!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
It's not planted and landscaped yet and I've got some more work but I threw together this new pen for my Redfoot this morning. It's 12' x 12' and 11" high. I've got some lugarti grass seed, and tortoise mix seed on the way. I'm also going to try to transplant some hibiscus bushes into the pen. This area is partially shaded, partially sunny depending on the time of day.IMG_20190311_133456551.jpg IMG_20190311_133442260.jpg

baldegale

It's not planted and landscaped yet and I've got some more work but I threw together this new pen for my Redfoot this morning. It's 12' x 12' and 11" high. I've got some lugarti grass seed, and tortoise mix seed on the way. I'm also going to try to transplant some hibiscus bushes into the pen. This area is partially shaded, partially sunny depending on the time of day.View attachment 267051 View attachment 267052

i wanna do an outdoor for my tort in tennessee. what did you do to mitigate the burrowing and are you going to put some mesh over the top? (mind you we have some huge hawks in tennessee along with feral cats and raccoons)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
i wanna do an outdoor for my tort in tennessee. what did you do to mitigate the burrowing and are you going to put some mesh over the top? (mind you we have some huge hawks in tennessee along with feral cats and raccoons)
My Redfoot doesn't really burrow ever. I didn't sink down the boards any. I just plan on putting a couple bags of dirt around the edges and packing it down tightly. I'm debating on putting a lid on it. My Tort is about 7" I don't think a hawk or cat will mess with him, raccoon maybe. His old pen was in the same spot and I didn't have any issues last year. He only goes out days and comes inside nights but I really want to transition him to outside full time this summer.

baldegale

My Redfoot doesn't really burrow ever. I didn't sink down the boards any. I just plan on putting a couple bags of dirt around the edges and packing it down tightly. I'm debating on putting a lid on it. My Tort is about 7" I don't think a hawk or cat will mess with him, raccoon maybe. His old pen was in the same spot and I didn't have any issues last year. He only goes out days and comes inside nights but I really want to transition him to outside full time this summer.

i have about a 4-5” red and i feel horrible because hes only in a 5’x2’ enclosure. i built him a 4’x8’ closed chamber but my parents forced me to get rid of it when we moved and wouldnt let me build another one so i had to go much smaller. im in a very complicated situation with my family and its really annoying because they like to claim ownership until they need something then its my problem. (i moved out of state and they wanted to keep him but im moving back in a month) mind you im 19 and theyre still trying to dictate this stuff and they dont want me doing an outside enclosure either

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
i have about a 4-5” red and i feel horrible because hes only in a 5’x2’ enclosure. i built him a 4’x8’ closed chamber but my parents forced me to get rid of it when we moved and wouldnt let me build another one so i had to go much smaller. im in a very complicated situation with my family and its really annoying because they like to claim ownership until they need something then its my problem. (i moved out of state and they wanted to keep him but im moving back in a month) mind you im 19 and theyre still trying to dictate this stuff and they dont want me doing an outside enclosure either
I would try my best to convince them to let you put something together outside if necessary. Tell them the tortoise will be much happier getting outside time. Which I believe is definitely true. If you got a big enough space inside have you looked into grow tents? I've actually seen some people make really neat enclosures out of them.

baldegale

I would try my best to convince them to let you put something together outside if necessary. Tell them the tortoise will be much happier getting outside time. Which I believe is definitely true. If you got a big enough space inside have you looked into grow tents? I've actually seen some people make really neat enclosures out of them.

ive been trying to, their theory is that since he’s relatively small he doesnt need a large space. long story short we moved into our first house, then i moved to ohio from tennessee, and im moving back to tennessee for a month and then down to florida with my dad while my mom stays in tennessee. the problem is that they want to turn my bedroom (where he is) into a guest room and she says “im trying to make more room, not less” and shes scared with being outside that hes going to get hurt or shes going to forget about him and my dads worried that the rain is going to mess up the enclosure and flood him out. i told them the solution is whenever its supposed to rain a lot just bring him inside.. hell still have the enclosure. but they dont want to listen, and if i want to give him to a better home they wont let me because theyre attached

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
ive been trying to, their theory is that since he’s relatively small he doesnt need a large space. long story short we moved into our first house, then i moved to ohio from tennessee, and im moving back to tennessee for a month and then down to florida with my dad while my mom stays in tennessee. the problem is that they want to turn my bedroom (where he is) into a guest room and she says “im trying to make more room, not less” and shes scared with being outside that hes going to get hurt or shes going to forget about him and my dads worried that the rain is going to mess up the enclosure and flood him out. i told them the solution is whenever its supposed to rain a lot just bring him inside.. hell still have the enclosure. but they dont want to listen, and if i want to give him to a better home they wont let me because theyre attached
Yikes sounds like a sticky situation. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you can convince them even if you just bring him outside for some sun occasionally. My first pen was just cinder blocks, real easy and cheap.

baldegale

Yikes sounds like a sticky situation. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you can convince them even if you just bring him outside for some sun occasionally. My first pen was just cinder blocks, real easy and cheap.

thats what i wanted to do, but i like your build too, mine would probably be 8’x8’, just have to figure out what to do about the cover