new outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I know this is an older thread (I am getting better at noticing these things :cool: ), but I still find myself admiring this orchestrated slice of tortoise heaven that you and your son constructed for you chelonian family members.;)

I wonder what it looks like in winter? Or do Pio and Nolie and Bindi and Chewy all hang out in the indoor viv during the cold weather months?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I can't believe that this old thread came to life.
Everyone is inside for the winter Stephanie. Next summer that pen will be for Pio alone. I have a big pond on the side of my house (1,000 gal) and I am taking it apart this Spring and making a really big boxie pen with a little stream and a bigger pond than Pio has. That pen is only 7 x 6...or something like that. This one for the boxies will be about 30' x 5'. I think that's it. Julie M. at TRLI is giving me 2 juvie boxies. I had to wait for my permit to come. Eastern's I think she said. That big pond was for my water turtles for years, the I re-homed them all and converted it into a Koi pond. I can't wait to start on that......the gardener in me is getting frustrated now.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I hear you, girlfriend!:p I hate the cold dark winter days, and the only thing that keeps me going is the certainty that spring will arrive, and I can then go outside and dig in the dirt every day! Yes! My gloves are waiting for me.;)

Ronaldinho

5 Year Member
It is an eye-catching landscape. If ever this is a good place to conduct an exhibit. I think the children like this place, and they enjoy the view.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Wowzerz, Terry! Your son has done a fantastic job with this habitat! OMGosh, I'm ready to move in myself, lol ~
Xllnt work and thanx for sharing with us ~

Blessings,
Purpod

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Terry: If I'm not being too bold, would it be possible for you to take a long shot of your backyard? I'm interested in what the overall image is. We have little snap shots of each enclosure, but I'll bet your total yard is something to look at!

vickyb

5 Year Member
Fabulous. Love it. Wish i could do something like this. but being in toronto, canada does not offer that :(

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My yard is pretty small...only 45 x 100. I'll take some pictures in the summer when it is in bloom. I have two from the first year when we finished the yard. That was 4 or more years ago ...I think.
See the cyprus trees along the back...they are way bigger now. I thing that Izzy is in there someplace.
Scan0018.jpg

Scan0026.jpg

scan0010-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! Terry...that's just beautiful! I'll bet you spend a lot of time just sitting out there and day dreaming.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh my goodness, Terry! Your beds! Your pots! Your borders! Your vines! The colors! If your yard were any bigger, you'd have to hire an "under-gardener" to help you with the daily maintenance duties in high summer. :p

I would say that these photos eliminate forever any doubts that Terry is the "Supreme Outdoor Gardener" in addition to her Vivarium Champion distinction. :cool:

It will be so nice when Izzy reappears. It will be interesting to see if Pio still recognizes her and follows her around after her long absence. I am wishing with all my heart for a reunion. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you Yvonne, and Stephanie. Everything is much bigger now. All the flowers are annuals and I usually have to re-plant every Spring. It's a lot of work, but I love it. On one side of the house is the vegetable garden, that you can't see, and on the other side is the big pond that I used for my RES rescues and then converted into a Koi pond, which I am taking apart to make a big boxie enclosure with a little stream and small pond. I can't wait to start that. And you can't see towards the left hand side of the garden is another big planter 7' x 6' that is Pio's enclosure, with the stream. My father did gardening and had a little yard in Brooklyn, where he had vegetables, flowers, fruit trees....it was so beautiful, and just a little bit of heaven. In that yard our boxie lived for 60 years. All he ever put out was a big pan of water for him. He had a really big compost pile in the back of the yard where he would put bags and bags of leaves in the fall, for him to hibernate, under a big fig tree. He would always leave some fruit to fall to the ground for the boxie, and you could always find him eating a ripe piece of squash or some other veggie....or see him digging in the compost pile for a worm. He never went to a vet and was never sick......the good old days. I guess I took after my Dad.

vickyb

5 Year Member
Thats a lovely backyard. How do you keep track of where Izzy is? :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Vicky, Izzy is lost in there somewhere. I'm hoping this Spring to start searching again. I posted the story somewhere I here. :(

vickyb

5 Year Member
Very sorry to hear that Terry. I am sure she will "surface" :) Awaiting the good news soon :)

liliabug

5 Year Member
Its amazing!!

terryo said:
My son came over this weekend, and he upgraded Pio's outdoor pen. I put him outside in the AM, I watched him all day so I could see if I had to change anything. We are going to change the fence this weekend, and do something to hide the hose.....everything has to get established as far as the plants go. He sat in the stream most of the AM and when it got hot out during the mid afternoon, he went under a hosta....at night he went right into the house, which still needs a little work.
010-9.jpg

011-9.jpg

009-10.jpg

008-8.jpg

006-13.jpg

005-15.jpg

003-8.jpg

004-8.jpg

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Dang Terry! :p If my yard looked half as good as yours, I'd be very tempted to live there instead of indoors! :D
Sigh... Someday, right?

Blessings and keep up the superb work!!
Purpod

vickyb

5 Year Member
Terry,

You are "relatively" close to me so your wildlife should be the same as mine... more or less..? Well, I am concerned about racoons and other predators... how do I handle that if I leave her hour all summer??

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Vicky where are you located? I am in Staten Island, and have had boxies and water turtles for years, hand never had a problem with any wild life. I have a lot of plants...maybe that would help. I know some people in Penn, and had a turtle garden with loads of plants too. If you have that kind of problem, you need something with a cover.

vickyb

5 Year Member
I live in Toronto, Canada.. I am beginning to make an outdoor encl. for her. In a box... I really cannot just leave her in the yard. I have wayyyy too many predators lurking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.