new outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
My son came over this weekend, and he upgraded Pio's outdoor pen. I put him outside in the AM, I watched him all day so I could see if I had to change anything. We are going to change the fence this weekend, and do something to hide the hose.....everything has to get established as far as the plants go. He sat in the stream most of the AM and when it got hot out during the mid afternoon, he went under a hosta....at night he went right into the house, which still needs a little work.
010-9.jpg

011-9.jpg

009-10.jpg

008-8.jpg

006-13.jpg

005-15.jpg

003-8.jpg

004-8.jpg

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
beautiful setup. It's better than some zoo exhibits I have seen.

I'm so jealous of it. Great work Terry

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Once again Terry I have to say how "BEAUTIFUL" everything looks. You always do such a great job! Pio looks like he enjoys it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You and your son do such beautiful pens! Do you have a pump on the stream so it actually flows? What a great place to just sit and look!

Yvonne

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Terry, that's a great outdoor place to be!! I could set up a little recliner and stay there under the hosta all day..
Can we get an areal view so I can try and copy it?. When it comes to imagination I like to copy others cuz I have none. I would love to set up something nicer than I have.
Thanks Na

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you everyone. The enclosure is about 6' x 7'. He put a little pump in a hole he made in the middle of the little pond. Above the stream there is a little water fall. I had to put some river rocks in the deep end as it was too deep for Pio. My boxie would just swim across, but pio panic's if it is too deep. The little stick fence is going...I don't know what he is putting there and he is making his house just a little bigger. One boy out of 5 son's took after me with the animals, ponds, and turtles...thank God ...at least I have help.

Nay...I will take a better picture when he finishes the fence, but this is one when he just finished everything, so maybe you can see it better. The plants were so nice, but he had to take them out to make the stream, and now I have to wait for them to get established again.
026-3.jpg

025-3.jpg

008-9.jpg

004-8.jpg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
of course Terry very nice looking enclosure, I always wanted to make a stream, i just don't know how i would go about, lol.. Is it cement? Also my Hosta is finally starting to bloom, I didnt know they got so tall, lol

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh my gosh Terry that is so beautiful. Tell your son how talented he is and I know it was you too. I know now that Dale will have to have one in his enclosure. I'm getting ready to call my husband in and show him so he can make one for Dale. :D I do have one question though....I know how much Dale likes to poop when he gets into the water what would you do about keeping it clean if Pio does that? Thanks for giving us such great ideas for our own tortoise's so they can live a wonderful life like Pio, he looks soooo happy. :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Terry, It is a beautiful upgrade for Pio and your boxie. It makes mine look so stark and dry. Oops different tort types. Oh well they like the heat and dryness. But I love yours so I've made up my mind, I'm coming to move with Pio next spring so be ready. ;)

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
This enclosure is absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing and passing on all kinds of great ideas.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Candy said:
Oh my gosh Terry that is so beautiful. Tell your son how talented he is and I know it was you too. I know now that Dale will have to have one in his enclosure. I'm getting ready to call my husband in and show him so he can make one for Dale. :D I do have one question though....I know how much Dale likes to poop when he gets into the water what would you do about keeping it clean if Pio does that? Thanks for giving us such great ideas for our own tortoise's so they can live a wonderful life like Pio, he looks soooo happy. :)

There is a little filter with a pump in a hole that is covered with a piece of slate, in the pond section. I just pick up the slate and take out the filter and clean the sponge and put it back...also I reverse the pump and it drains the water for a quick water change. He make it very convenient for me...knows I'm old and tired now...lol

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
terryo said:
Candy said:

There is a little filter with a pump in a hole that is covered with a piece of slate, in the pond section. I just pick up the slate and take out the filter and clean the sponge and put it back...also I reverse the pump and it drains the water for a quick water change. He make it very convenient for me...knows I'm old and tired now...lol

Well tell him for me that I think mom has raised a pretty smart son. :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you Candy,....like you I raised 4 sons, and also 1 grandson who I adopted after his father died....I wouldn't trade one of them for anything. BUT...this one is just like me..you should see his pond.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Nay said:
Terry, that's a great outdoor place to be!! I could set up a little recliner and stay there under the hosta all day..
Can we get an areal view so I can try and copy it?. When it comes to imagination I like to copy others cuz I have none. I would love to set up something nicer than I have.
Thanks Na

Imagination not required here.

Dig a winding trench and cover it with a pond liner. Since it is for the Torts, it does not have to be too deep, and let it dump into a deep area to keep some feeder Goldfish for action. Cover the liner edges with rocks and your stream will look like it is supposed to be there. You can also make the stream disappear into the groundTurtles make ponds come alive, so Torts make brooks come alive.

Bird ponds are shallow and you could adapt them. Think of it as an outdoor aquarium.

Status
Not open for further replies.