New Outdoor Enclosure for limited space

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I just about have this enclosure ready for the tortoises. I had a limited amount of space to use for my group of Burmese Stars, and wanted to take advantage of all the space I could since I was now using the last space I had for my weed garden and tortoise food it provided. Brenda is pleased, as she didn't like the look of the "weed garden", so I had to find a way to make it more esthetic, yet functional.

My solution was to make a two-tiered planter for the borders of the enclosure. I planted petunias, gazania, and gardenia along the top section so as it grows and hangs down, there is a constant food source for the tortoises, as they keep it trimmed up. The lower section has a few squash plants but is planted with tortoise seed mix.

I definitely like to generously plant a tortoise enclosure. This issue is either sturdy enough, or safe but not attractive food. The enclosure itself is planted with tortoise edibles that I've had growing for some time now and trying to get sturdy size. Some are plants the tortoises normally don't eat much, but is safe if they do. It will provide good cover and sight barriers and help keep humidity. The sprinklers come on every 2 hours for a "monsoon" rain.

I also shaped in plenty of elevation changes for sight barrier as well. A tortoise in one part of the enclosure cannot see another tortoise in most other areas. It is divided into two sections as I want to separate male & females, or have the option of two separate breeding groups.

The night box is pure copy of @Tom 's design. Also separated with a movable divider inside into two sections. I do paint mine inside and out. I have come to really like the way the Countertop Paint I have talked about elsewhere on the forum works for me. It creates an extremely durable, waterproof finish. Of course, I had to paint it to match our house!

IMG_5204.JPG

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Very nice, Mark. They'll really appreciate those plants as they grow. My experience with the Burms has been that they have to be brought in most nights as they like to settle down nice and close to the base of plants. How many do you have again? What are the dimensions of the enclosures?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here's another view showing the two entrances to the night box and also how the divider in the middle of the enclosure has a section that can be lifted out to make it a single enclosure.

The grass has had about 4 weeks of growth now and is strong enough for grazing tortoises. Most of the plants have been in for about 2 months now to get established.

IMG_5206.JPG

An inside view of the night box.

IMG_5198.JPG

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Very nice, Mark. They'll really appreciate those plants as they grow. My experience with the Burms has been that they have to be brought in most nights as they like to settle down nice and close to the base of plants. How many do you have again? What are the dimensions of the enclosures?
Kevin

Yeah, I have had them outside last year quite a bit, and always found them nestled into a plant best they could. I've planned on them not going into the night box themselves at night like the sulcatas do.

This last unfinished section of my yard only gave me a total of 20 x 30 to work with. The enclosure itself is 14 x 26.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Kevin

Yeah, I have had them outside last year quite a bit, and always found them nestled into a plant best they could. I've planned on them not going into the night box themselves at night like the sulcatas do.

This last unfinished section of my yard only gave me a total of 20 x 30 to work with. The enclosure itself is 14 x 26.

Still a good sized space. Especially since it is nicely designed. How big is your group?

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
I just about have this enclosure ready for the tortoises. I had a limited amount of space to use for my group of Burmese Stars, and wanted to take advantage of all the space I could since I was now using the last space I had for my weed garden and tortoise food it provided. Brenda is pleased, as she didn't like the look of the "weed garden", so I had to find a way to make it more esthetic, yet functional.

My solution was to make a two-tiered planter for the borders of the enclosure. I planted petunias, gazania, and gardenia along the top section so as it grows and hangs down, there is a constant food source for the tortoises, as they keep it trimmed up. The lower section has a few squash plants but is planted with tortoise seed mix.

I definitely like to generously plant a tortoise enclosure. This issue is either sturdy enough, or safe but not attractive food. The enclosure itself is planted with tortoise edibles that I've had growing for some time now and trying to get sturdy size. Some are plants the tortoises normally don't eat much, but is safe if they do. It will provide good cover and sight barriers and help keep humidity. The sprinklers come on every 2 hours for a "monsoon" rain.

I also shaped in plenty of elevation changes for sight barrier as well. A tortoise in one part of the enclosure cannot see another tortoise in most other areas. It is divided into two sections as I want to separate male & females, or have the option of two separate breeding groups.

The night box is pure copy of @Tom 's design. Also separated with a movable divider inside into two sections. I do paint mine inside and out. I have come to really like the way the Countertop Paint I have talked about elsewhere on the forum works for me. It creates an extremely durable, waterproof finish. Of course, I had to paint it to match our house!

View attachment 207753
Wow that is really thought out. I like the plantings between the barriers. Not only does it beautify the outside but gives easy access for feedings inside. I love the pavers too. I have seen a location that actually paints those very nicely to look like a real turtle and they are so nice looking. I was thinking of using one as the feeding spot outdoors :)