New Oscar (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So I've always wanted an Oscar and while I was in Petsmart today grabbing a new CHE I saw this guy and decided today was the day :D Meet Dorian Grey (because m a sucker for bass akwards literary references)

5f49c1edb808c2fab8b3aed678bd0242.jpg

947d1f5e79b862690ed5e0913fa89760.jpg

4fc834dedef04bd5b0287ddff2186e23.jpg

This was partially precipitated because my Convict (hilariously named freebird by my 14 year old self) needed an up grade and my online research all agreed they were good tank mates. So they both got set up in a 40 gallon today with apparently no problems. Free birds old 20 gallon is still up and running to dump Dorian into if I see any issues. Hopefully in a few years Dorian will have a girlfriend to share a 100 gal with.

Here's freebird
cbb026d3f099a0bd97927dd6087c5832.jpg

And the tank (two filters just to be on the safe side)
35b8898ac951c83dcfd130d5612099da.jpg

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yea! Oscars are my favorite fish in the whole world, and convicts and plecos are sweet, too. A word of caution, though...

If you leave that little Oscar in the 40-gallon tank with that adult convict, I guarantee you that within two weeks, the convict is going to beat up the Oscar and possibly even kill it. Convicts are far more aggressive than Oscars, and the only reason you can keep them together, is that Oscars grow to be much bigger. The Oscar has to be at least a couple inches longer than the convict, or he's going to get his butt kicked. Actually, that a good rule of thumb when keeping Oscars with other cichlids in general. They work best when they are the biggest cichlid in the tank by a large margin, but of course, not so large as to be able to fit the other cichlids in their mouth. I speak from lots of experience on this, and that is what I have found out. Other cichlid keepers I know, as well as books I've read have come up with the same general rule. I would recommend keeping the convict in the 20-gallon tank and the Oscar and pleco in the 40-gallon one.

Also, the bare minimum size recommended for an Oscar is 55 gallons, with 75 gallons or more being preferred. Otherwise, the Oscar's growth will be stunted. Oscars can grow to over 1 foot in length and live for over 10 years, but in that 40 gallon tank, your Oscar will probably only get to be about 6-8 inches long, and his longevity will probably also be lessened.

BTW - Plecos also get to be well over a foot long, so they also need plenty of room. Again, a minimum of 55 gallons is recommended, and preferably more. I would upgrade your Oscar and pleco to at least a 55-gallon tank as soon as possible. Once the Oscar is big enough, you can keep the convict with them. That will be good for him, too, because although convicts only get to be only about 4 inches long, like most cichlids they are territorial and need their space.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Sigh...my fault for an impulse buy. I'll switch things around in the morning. And start trolling Craigslist for a new big tank. Thanks though, I'd hate for my little guy to suffer. It's been about 12 hours but I'm already smitten.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yeah, they are great fish. So smart, and lots of personality. Beautiful colors and fascinating behavior, too. The first Oscar I ever got was an impulse buy, much like yours. I soon upgraded to a 55-gallon tank, and my Oscar grew to 11 inches. When he was 7-inches long, his tank mates became an adult convict, jewel cichlid, and Jack Dempsey. The four of them lived happily together for years, and were probably the best combination of cichlids I have ever seen. They were all awesome. :)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
That's a very pretty sounding tank. I was planning on a bigger tank for him I'll just move up the schedule...it's not like there won't be room in the house once the Sulcatas are outside in a few months.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I pulled freebird out this morning and yeah Dorian has some war wounds...nothing too serious, nipped fins, but not things he could sustain every day for very long. Poor little guy. Well I'm off to find a new tank.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Split fins heal rather quickly, since the membrane is just skin. However, if fin-nipping damages the actual rays, those take longer to heal, since they are actually bone. In any event, I'm glad you're getting a new tank ASAP, because as you said, your fish can only handle that kind of abuse for a couple days before he takes a turn for the worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.