New - My Weird Intro to Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

mttrhll

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi Everyone,

I have been researching tortoises for several years and I'm finally taking the plunge. I just ordered 2 RFs from Vicky Hale (tortoiseyard).

... So now for the reason I started researching tortoises. I live in Ohio and back in 2007 I spotted something strange on the side of the road. There was a tortoise making a run for it next to a rather busy intersection.

Obviously these guys don't live here... in fact where I live it would be rare to even see a box turtle... more likely to see a snapping turtle who's decided to relocate.

I can't help trying to save animals in danger so I pulled over and asked my wife to please go grab the big guy (I'm glad it wasn't a snapping turtle ;) ... I couldn't stop and get out of the car b/c of how busy the intersection was.

Later that day I called my sister and told her what we found. Oddly enough she said that her neighbor who was a police officer just was talking to her about a missing tortoise.

Long story short I had to do research to take care of our guest until we could work through the police and reunite him (Gus) with his mom. Can you believe this guy's luck? :)

I even got a little write-up in the Columbus Dispatch my local newspaper... but more importantly I was hooked on how cool tortoises are and wanted to learn as much as I could.

Anyway, this post is getting too long, but this forum is great and I look forward to getting involved and learning from you guys.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What kind of tortoise was the one you found? Vicky is known for having nice rf, I am sure you will be very happy with your choice. :tort:

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Lucky little guy. Welcome to the forum

'Or like the snow falls in the river,
A moment white, then melts forever'
~Robert Burns - Tam O' Shanter

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni boettgeri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Matt, and welcome to the Forum!

mttrhll

10 Year Member!
Ohio
The tortoise I found was a sulcata. The owner got it from the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society and had it for 15 years at the time... so Gus would be at least 22 years old now. He had minor pyramiding, but seemed in general good health. If i lived in a different place with more land and it was warmer i wouldn't mind rescuing one of these guys.

He had a great personality very interested in orange colored items... i kept my fenced in backyard free of pesticides/herbicides so we'd hang out with him during the day and garaged him at night. We only had him for a few days before we got a hold of the owner. She was ecstatic to get him back :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

Sulcatas ROCK!

I bet she was ecstactic to see her Tort! I freaked out the day I found WalkinRock missing from the yard!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats a cool story. Glad you could help him go home. Get you a red footed tortoise they don't Get to big. But they have big personalities .

Status
Not open for further replies.