New Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olive's Mom

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone!!! My name is Anne and I am new here to the Tortoise Forum! I recently adopted a year and a half old Red Foot from a friend who was unable to care for her any longer. Her name is Olive :tort: and after only 5 days I already love her tons!!! I am a little bit of a paranoid "mom" right now and hover, probably a little too much, because I want to do everything right for her and make her happy and comfortable in her new home!!
I stumbled on your forum and think it is great!! I have gotten a lot of useful information here and want to thank everyone!! I have lots of questions so I am sure you'll be seeing more of us!!!

Attachments

• 551191_3382099803757_1607321703_2710622_1626579238_n.jpg
    551191_3382099803757_1607321703_2710622_1626579238_n.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 36

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Anne:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Very glad to have you with us.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and what a pretty little tort...I don't mean to bother...but from the angle in this picture that water dish seems really deep? Again, it may totally be the angle of the pic...:D

Olive's Mom

5 Year Member
Hi again everyone and thanks for the welcome!!! We are living just outside Cleveland, Ohio.
Ascott, no bother at all...I looked at the pic again myself, and yes, the water dish does look deep :) Must just be the angle because it really isn't! Olive lays in it each day and it really doesn't even come past her head! It is really pretty shallow and is wider than it looks in the photo also!! Thanks for looking out though, much appreciated since I will take any advise I can get at this point!
Maybe someone could help me understand one thing about her. She has been burrowing herself down in the substrate under her heat lamp for the past two days. She seems quite content there but I am wondering if she's doing it because she is cold. I have been having a difficult time getting her little home to stay past 75 for any length of time...it is usually around 72-73. I just can not make it stay in the 80's for any long period of time and it is very frustrating to me because I read that it really should be in the 80's? I am also assuming that because I can not get it to stay at temperature that is why I am having such a hard time making it stay humid as well.....I feel like I'm constantly misting to get that humidity up!! Any suggestions on what I can do to help her out.
(She is in a 40 gallon terrarium as of right now. She has a hide, water dish, Reptitherm U.T.H., 75 Watt basking bulb and her UVB bulb. She also has a few artificial plants but I did just buy her a live plant for inside but have not put it in yet.)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D. You can cover her terrarium or cover half of it. It will help keep heat and humidity up.just cut holes for the lights and heat

Status
Not open for further replies.