New Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamallama

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I am a new tortoise mom by fate. Someone left a hatchling African Sulcata on the sidewalk in front of my house last week in a box with a piece of lettuce. I've taken him(her???) in he's eating well and temporarily housed ina 10 gallon aquarium. It's the only thing I had available on short notice since my husband and I were both on the way to work when we found him. I have never owned a tortoise let alone a reptile, so any help I can get will be appreciated. I live in Phoenix area and any local resources would also be helpful. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Tortillini.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
uk
hi and welcome to the forum.:)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum! Sulcatas are lots of fun!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mamallama: Welcome to the forum. Your little baby looks pretty dry. It would be a good idea to put him in a bowl of room temp. water, not too deep, just up to the middle of his sides, and leave him there for 15 or 20 minutes. Since you live in Arizona, the best thing for your new baby is to set him up outside. You can build a little rectangular box-type yard for him. If you make it 4'x8' you can simply put a piece of lattice over the top to keep the birds off him. Place his pen where he would get morning sun and be in the shade during the heat of the day. Also, give him a hiding place where he can escape the hot temp. I would bring him in at night so the night critters aren't tempted to get to him. He doesn't need a big night-time set-up, a cardboard box will do. And room temp. is ok at night. Go to our section her on sulcatas and read what has been posted about them. You will get some good tips and info. Again, glad you found us and thanks for the picture! We love pictures.

Yvonne

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Welcome to the group. That makes me sad that someone would just dump it. But I'm glad you found it. They are soooooo much fun and have such a great personality. How big is he/her?

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
:D Greetings and welcome to TF! What a blessing for both you and your new family member. Yvonnes advice is great; and of course, the site Robyn gave you will give much helpful information.

There is a specific forum here for sulcatas, and you are sure to get helpful advice for any questions you might post. You certainly came to the right place when you joined in here.

Again, congrats ~
Purpod

Megan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome, and thank you for taking him in :) I am a new Tortoise mom too, and this forum has been of great help to me!

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome to the Forum Mamallama (do you have llamas too? I used to have llamas and miss them alot!) Have fun with your new sulcata!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hello and welcome to TFO!! Danny is right about setting him up outside, just make sure if you do set him up outside, you provide lots of shade, moist soil, water dishes in multiple spots, and keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't overheat. I take mine out in the morning and again in the evening and let them roam the yard, I haven't been brave enough yet to leave them out all day. The phoenix herptological society and The Arizona herptological society, I would ask questions here, check out online websites, and if you still have questions feel free to ask again, I am in the west valley and would be more then willing to answer any questions you have, I have a list of vets as well if you want it email / pm me and I will give them to you. Thank you for taking him in, that was so nice of you and I am glad you found him before he overheated. Welcome to TFO!!

Mamallama

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have been giving him a 10 minute soak every other day. He's looking a lot better. The photos were taken a few days after we got him. I am going to set him up outside after he gets a little bigger. I'll need to figure out a way to wall off part of my yard so my dog can't at him. The lattice over the top seems like an inexpensive idea.

emysemys said:
Hi Mamallama: Welcome to the forum. Your little baby looks pretty dry. It would be a good idea to put him in a bowl of room temp. water, not too deep, just up to the middle of his sides, and leave him there for 15 or 20 minutes. Since you live in Arizona, the best thing for your new baby is to set him up outside. You can build a little rectangular box-type yard for him. If you make it 4'x8' you can simply put a piece of lattice over the top to keep the birds off him. Place his pen where he would get morning sun and be in the shade during the heat of the day. Also, give him a hiding place where he can escape the hot temp. I would bring him in at night so the night critters aren't tempted to get to him. He doesn't need a big night-time set-up, a cardboard box will do. And room temp. is ok at night. Go to our section her on sulcatas and read what has been posted about them. You will get some good tips and info. Again, glad you found us and thanks for the picture! We love pictures.

Yvonne

Mamallama

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No llamas. It was a nickname my son gave me and it stuck. Ever see "The Emperor's New Groove"?

katesgoey said:
Welcome to the Forum Mamallama (do you have llamas too? I used to have llamas and miss them alot!) Have fun with your new sulcata!

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yep, I saw it - I get it now. Just wondered 'bout the llamas. Hope you enjoy your newly found Sulcata. The natural outdoor light is very good for them so if you are going to keep him inside, letting him have some outdoor time during the day is very beneficial. When I first adopted my Leopard tortoise, I used cinder blocks and old window screens (then I learned he was too big to be carried off by birds - :D) Have fun!

Mamallama said:
No llamas. It was a nickname my son gave me and it stuck. Ever see "The Emperor's New Groove"?

katesgoey said:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a lucky little guy that you not only spotted him, but are planning on giving him a wonderful life. Welcome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.