new mom!

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex
hi i’m new here and a new sulcata momma :)
i’m unsure of my baby’s exact age but he’s a wee thing and has been home with me for about a week so far! he’s doing awesome and loves strawberries and green leaf lettuce! he’s very adventurous, friendly, active, and fun!! i have named him(or her, i am unsure until he grows!!) Doom!!! here is a pic of him :)

View attachment 295360

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
Congratulations! Not sure if anyone mentioned but it looks like he has some swelling around his eye in the picture.

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
hi i’m new here and a new sulcata momma :)
i’m unsure of my baby’s exact age but he’s a wee thing and has been home with me for about a week so far! he’s doing awesome and loves strawberries and green leaf lettuce! he’s very adventurous, friendly, active, and fun!! i have named him(or her, i am unsure until he grows!!) Doom!!! here is a pic of him :)

View attachment 295360

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Hi there! Cute baby! Where in South Florida do you live? I live in Pembroke Pines. My baby is nine months now. I was in your same position six months ago. You’re all excited and set up his little habitat and then everybody tells you it’s wrong! I’ve been there too. The people on this forum are very passionate about their torts and have the best intentions. I was so glad I found this site. I take my Sulcata out every day for 2-3 hours to get uvb so I don’t need that in my enclosure. Post a picture of what you have and they will tell you if it’s the right one. I have a card you hold underneath the light and it measures the uvb strength but unfortunately my friend gave it to me so I don’t know where I got it. Here is a picture of my closed chamber which is how you can control the temps and humidity which I made after the first month and I realized I couldn’t hold humidity any other way. Some people use plexiglass over the top of some kind of plastic bin too. Whatever works!?

Attachments

• 2DB20FFF-9B62-4C4A-8C2C-006DCACA2B1F.jpeg
    2DB20FFF-9B62-4C4A-8C2C-006DCACA2B1F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

shellcior

Magnolia, Tx
Hi, also make sure the area you are allowing the tort to graze in has not been fertilized and no pesticides have been sprayed there. :)

sumsulcatamom

morgantown, WV
doom is doin great everyone!!! i’ve been takin him outside for short periods of time and he’s grazin in clean grass :) he’s been basking on top of a lil log thingy i have, he’s been soaking in his pool and eating lots of yummy grass! i’ve been monitoring temp and humidity and he’s been super active and sleeping a regular schedule!!! he’s a happy, hungry boi and is very adventurous and social!!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
doom is doin great everyone!!! i’ve been takin him outside for short periods of time and he’s grazin in clean grass :) he’s been basking on top of a lil log thingy i have, he’s been soaking in his pool and eating lots of yummy grass! i’ve been monitoring temp and humidity and he’s been super active and sleeping a regular schedule!!! he’s a happy, hungry boi and is very adventurous and social!!!
da548102094a9529fd1f936b5ac5b6be~2.jpg

L

LasTortugasNinja

i’ve been monitoring temp and humidity and he’s been super active and sleeping a regular schedule!!! he’s a happy, hungry boi and is very adventurous and social!!!

I love animals that follow schedules! Sometimes, I wish I could convey to them the concept of weekends! LOL My tort wakes up every morning at 6am ready for his bath and breakfast... even on sundays! If he's not in the bath or eating by 6:15, as if he had a clock, he's banging on the side of his feed dish loud enough to get my wife to jab me in the ribs so she can sleep in. LOL Similarly, he digs himself a burrow and goes to sleep exactly at 8pm... indoors or outdoors, so I have to make sure he's indoors and safe before that.

Torts are quirky beasts.