New mom and Baby. Weird behaviour?

FlowerzTrolls

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Alberta, CAN
Whaaaaaaa?!!??!?!?!?

Eating his own poo?!??! Should i be shocked about this??

I know dogs do it but none of my other reptile/amphibian like never ever did this ???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whaaaaaaa?!!??!?!?!?

Eating his own poo?!??! Should i be shocked about this??

I know dogs do it but none of my other reptile/amphibian like never ever did this ???
Its common with many herbivores. Rats, lagomorphs. Hind gut digestion. Torts don't have hind gut digestion in the way rats or rabbits do, but feces does make up part of a wild tortoises diet. Both their own and other animals too.

Liggysasha

Cape Coral
I was in a very similar situation to you with my hatchling. He only seemed to eat if I handfed him. My family thought it was hilarious (a very spoiled tort!). Over time he started eating more on his own. When I put him back in his tank after soaking, I would put him in his food dish, so he knew where it was.

Mine is also a poo eater! He poops and turns right around and eats it!! Although it means I don't need to spot clean his enclosure... So I guess that's a good thing!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Does the temperature of the enclosure change much with time of day? If so, what are day and night temps? Is his hide on the cool side or warm side? Put the thermometer inside his hide for an hour and check that too.

I have over time stopped giving hatchlings significant temperature gradients, but I do believe a daily temperature swing is beneficial. I like them to get “warmed up” each day and I think this promotes a behavioral routine.

A lot of the time if healthy hatchlings are not active it’s because they are too cool. Your temperatures honestly sound fine, and maybe he’s just not coming out because he is not yet comfortable. But if it were me, I’d want the inside of his hide box to be mid 80’s in the daytime if it isn’t already.

Gig

Florida
Hey guys

Gonna try this posting thing and hope i dont get chewed up for it! Just looking for others experiences with new baby and hatchlings

I got my little bean on wednesday last week.

Hes got a 3 foot tank with hides, rock and plants, reptibark on surface and eco earth underneath with some areas with eco earth only if he feels like digging, he has a water bowl, eats better than i do (dandelions, collard greens, wheat grass, apples, papaya, some strawberries, mushrooms and such), he has a flat rock purposely put in his way so he has no choice to walk on for nail trimming, tank is covered all arpund, i have a humidifier in there and spray everyday for moisture to stay 80 or more, his high temp side is about 88 abd lower at about 78 and he gets saoked in a warm bath every single day.

That said, im running into kind of a weird issue. And i loosely say weird as i havent read about it anywhere and cant seem to find info on it and like everything in my life, it seems backwards....

After i bath Louis, I offer food. He will sit in my hand, NEVER hides, will take food out of my fingers and hand, lets me pet his shell and head as well, will eat some more... then when i put him down for him to feed himself, he may do that for a bit and then walks away......... If i stay near by and see walk away, ill observe him jjst to see him walk to my face and stare at me. If i reopen my tank, leave him on the ground in the tank and offer food, he will take it from me. The problem is, not once has he come out on his own to feed and yet i know hes hungry cause he willingly takes him from me.....

He doesnt move around his tank much either. He hides most of the time. So at supper time, i usually take him out, if dry ish i will give him another bath, if jot ill offer food. Same idea. Hell eat from me and maybe a little off his plate and then doesnt care for it unless i stay there it seems like. And im so OCD, i place the food a certain so when i come home at night from work, i know for sure if its been disturbed and it hasnt :(

Let me reinforce here, he NEVER shy and hides from me, unless i quickly move over him, which i make a strong effort not to do! He has no issue with my company it seems like.

Could the tank/new surrounding still scares him??

Why would he be so good, ok and not hiding with me around but when alone goes in hiding mode?

This goes agaisnt everything i read.. I was expecting him to hate my company and hide in his shell when im around and eat when im not looking but its not the case. Totally backward!!

Is me hand feeding him actually encourage this behaviour? Its kind of a crap shoot... he wont feed so i feel the need to see him eat at least a little something but then if i continue I'm scared he will turn into a total handfeeding princess!

Hmm.. Anyone? Have you experineced this backward thing?
You are too cute , I did the same thing with mine ❤? she had to run my whole backyard. And it sounds like her/his house looks just the same as mine ? so good luck I hope someone can answer your questions I'm just saying I don't think you're doing anything wrong I wouldn't keep hand feeding her but what do I know ??? Good luck

FlowerzTrolls

Northern Alberta, CAN
Thanks Gig!!

So Little Bean Louis had a HUGE poo in his bath the day after i posted my last comment LOL. Found a tiny one in his hide that day (go figure ?) and hoooolala! Lol

Besides that. No change. After his soak he will hand feed no problem and them eat on his own for a while before going to hide

So funny, the one day this weekend i was alone , yesterday, after he fed he stayed out. Explore his tank. Came to visit me a few times (his tank is right beside the couch) and went back to eat on his own. He did that for 3 hours! I was bugging my fiancee and told him he doesnt like him hahaha

Hes coming around. Turtle speed....???