Justin C.

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit, MI
Hello, my name is Justin and have 2 children (9, 4).
During recent weeks / months I have been researching tortoises for future purchase and kept finding myself on Tortoise Forum finding the most information. As a very strong potential owner I felt I should join.
I have always loved turtles/tortoises and with the request from my son for a turtle I started my quest. Right now I know it will be a Tortoise but not completely sold on the species. Leaning to Russian Tortoise do to the small size, but love the Sulcata. Small yard and OK size house. Not ideal for Sulcata :( .

I live in southern Michigan and would like to have them inside and outside throughout the year.

Plus, I need the approval from the BOSS (wife) before I can buy.

Thank you all for the information I have already read in prior post.

Many Thanks,
Justin :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* Hi Justin and welcome to TFO! What are you not liking about the Russian?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Justin welcome to the TFO from AZ . I was born in Saginaw , what city are you from ?

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
Loving the Russian, just like the Sulcata for its size. Local Pet Store here has a personal pet Sulcata the roams the store and I find that cool. I have 2 pet stores here that have Tortoises for sale, 1 has different speices and the other just 2. The Russian is the cheapest at $100 ~ $119 all are adults 4 ~ 6 years old. I refuse to buy a tortoise from PetSmart or Petco.

Living in South Lyon, MI but grew up in Monroe (the country) which I prefer but I did marry a city girl.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Justin:

Welcome to the forum!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Justin and Welcome.

Are you considering Hermanni Tortoise or Greek? Similar in size as Russian also will hibernate during the winter.

Good to have you here and this is a great place to learn and share.

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
I'm open to any type, just want something the is pretty shell coloring and is easy to care for as this will be the first to my family.
Hoping not the last. I heard that Russians do not need to hibernate to remain healthy, so I was going to keep indoor over winter months with all the needed supplies (Lighting, etc...).
I was planning to build a indoor enclosure with my son and I have an above ground garden I can convert to outdoor enclosure as there is 12" of loose soil then the bottom is gravel.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, well, well! Seems every new comer wants a Russian tortoise . But it's my duty to show you the beautiful red footed tortoise! They are a medium to smaller tortoise with great personalities. Beautiful red legs and head .

Now for some pictures . The last picture was just to tease you . LoL If you like my reds you should check out Jeff's reds . Aka n2torts He by far has and breeds the most beautiful reds I have ever seen .

Attachments

• 1397271492911.jpg
    1397271492911.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 1397271512394.jpg
    1397271512394.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 1397271542817.jpg
    1397271542817.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 24
  • 1397271571557.jpg
    1397271571557.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 1397271597904.jpg
    1397271597904.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 23

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
mike taylor said:
Well, well, well! Seems every new comer wants a Russian tortoise . But it's my duty to show you the beautiful red footed tortoise! They are a medium to smaller tortoise with great personalities. Beautiful red legs and head .

Now for some pictures . The last picture was just to tease you . LoL If you like my reds you should check out Jeff's reds . Aka n2torts He by far has and breeds the most beautiful reds I have ever seen .

i was just about to speak up for the reds ;) and as mike said n2torts does indeed have some beautiful animals i also very much like tropical torts (forum breeder) i did my first ever online purchase from them and it was painlessly easy with very healthy and active animals

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
IT'S OFFICAL, I'm a Russian Tortoise owner now. After learning a lot from your information I was thinking of going with Hermann or Russian.
the Red Head was an option, but size was a concern as this was the first Tortoise I was getting. As of right now, looks like many Tortoises are in my future.